2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

goodyear wrangler authority a/t

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
for mud/snow, i like these Dunlop Rovers. available in load D or E. $166 ea.
check out tire rack, and then ask your local guys to match/beat price.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Those are made here at the Buffalo dunlop-goodyear plant...they have them on display in the lobby , I was considering them for my jeep before its demise. there's another brandname with the same exact tread they make that starts with a C I believe..

Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
As far as expecting more than 20% during christmas... i think that is greedy, but to each his own.
I"m going to hijack this thread here just for a second.

I'm not saying that it's a greedy thing. It might be, but work for the silly bastards sometime and you'll understand. Then, take a look at what other big companies give their employees as a discount. Not naming names here, but I do know of another fairly large store that practically sells their products to their employees at 10% above cost.

You can call me greedy all you like, but work for a company that thinks you are nothing more than a hired slave, put up with their political BS, and then tell me what you think is fair and/or not fair.

Now, if you want to talk to me about this more, take it to PMs, and keep it out of here. I don't know what your issue is with me, but I won't tolerate little jabs in the open forum.

Now, back on topic!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
I don't know what your issue is with me, but I won't tolerate little jabs in the open forum.
Wasn't ment as a jab. No need to get hostile. Was just implying that walmart is in it for profit just like everyone else.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I will say that the last set of tires on the truck lasted years (at least 6) that were bought from walmart. The uniroyal liberator a/t's and came with a 50,000 mile warranty. They wore like ... something that doesn't wear lol. They still have usable tred too, but are now my backup set. My mother also used the goodyear tracker 2's that were a walmart exclusive on the intrepid and that tire too had long life. In conclusion, the family has had good luck with walmart tires. I do agree op that the new walmart tires do look sweet, and again thats why I said I checked them out. But since I couldn't find legitmate reviews of their performance, I decided to pass and bought some "good for a year's" (LOL) as somebody said in the thread. As far as expecting more than 20% during christmas... i think that is greedy, but to each his own.
I had a set of liverator at's on my truck when i bought it and they had about 50k miles according to paperwork and still had some tread left on 2 tires. They also road better than the bfg all-terrains but as a rule i would not buy tires from walmart myself

Old 10-06-2009, 11:16 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Name:  0604091131-00.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  44.4 KB

Laramie, that is a classic pic of a tire run too long while over-inflated. I will agree that it looks like a ton of wear for 15,000 miles (or however much it was), but it also looks like it had too much pressure for most of its life.

Those new tires you have though look like a really nice AT. You like 'em?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Laramie, that is a classic pic of a tire run too long while over-inflated. I will agree that it looks like a ton of wear for 15,000 miles (or however much it was), but it also looks like it had too much pressure for most of its life.

Those new tires you have though look like a really nice AT. You like 'em?

You have that correct. I ran those tires just like I have always ran my previous tires. The Max pressure as listed on the side of the tire. Never had a set wear like that.
On that last pic, those tires had 18,500K on them.

I do like my new set. The main thing I never liked about AT tires is the fact that they are really bad about grabbing rocks and chucking them. Being that I live on a property that has about a 1 mile long gravel drive, I wasn't looking forward to listening to rocks chip my body paint.
These tires don't seem to pick up little rocks like most other AT tires I've seen.
So far, I'd rate their performance at a 9/10. Considering mud and rain. Rain is where they slop down a bit. They are really easy to break loose on damp pavement. On mud, they clean very well, I've noticed that I'm not using 4x4 near as much as I used to in the fields.

We are just now starting to cool down here, so we haven't gotten a nice fall of snow to test in. I wont consider ice as a test just for the fact that there really isn't any rubber that does well on ice. I'll keep my new skins thread updated.

Oh, New tires are rated at 85PSI, and I'm running them at 60. 10PSI above Dodge's recommendation.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 10-07-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

I just spent the money and got a set of these put on my truck:
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...overer-stt.htm
It might be that I grew up pulling trailers and using trucks for what they are made for, but I dont skimp on good tires. I got mine in 285/70/R17 and the only complaint I have about them is that they are D rated tires. I get back down in the lower 48, my truck will only run E rated tires. This is one of those times when you really got to ask yourself.....Why are these Wal-Mart tires so much cheaper?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpnorris87
I just spent the money and got a set of these put on my truck:
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...overer-stt.htm
It might be that I grew up pulling trailers and using trucks for what they are made for, but I dont skimp on good tires. I got mine in 285/70/R17 and the only complaint I have about them is that they are D rated tires. I get back down in the lower 48, my truck will only run E rated tires. This is one of those times when you really got to ask yourself.....Why are these Wal-Mart tires so much cheaper?
google the remington 710 and you'll se why they almost bankrupt remington....remington pulled the gun off the market it was such a piece of garbage. Despite walmarts wishes.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which is why I choice not to shop at walmart.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Walmart posted a profit margin of 3.5% as of 3 years ago the last I could find, and you guys are complaining about 20% ? Sounds like you were getting the better deal.

Quick Reply: goodyear wrangler authority a/t