2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

goodyear wrangler authority a/t

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
bardram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goodyear wrangler authority a/t

I was in walmart today and saw these tires, and look really aggressive. They are only $130, and seem like a great tire for the money. I can't find any reviews of them online, they seem to be exclusive to walmart. I have never purchased tires from walmart and was just wondering if anyone had any positive/negative feedback about getting tires there, and if anyone has any opinions of the goodyear wrangler authority a/t.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

a few key notes about those tires. Like you said they are a walmart exclusive tire, but walmart usually demands to sell items at their price and that may hurt the tires quality. That said, I don't think goodyear would put their name on the tire if it wasn't good. These tires have been out for a couple months now because I looked at them. To the touch, the tred is VERY soft. The tire also does not have the snowflake symbol on them (look up what it means if u dont know.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:54 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might as well buy used tires and let me put them on. I don't mean retreads by used.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

walmart exculsive products are usually cheap lower quality crap...Walmart gives the manufactuer the specs and says build it for under this much. In many cases it wont really matter but in certain things like the remington 710 walmart exclusive rifle that was such a subquality piece of crap its not even funny....they use big names on stuff thats not even alway actually made by that manufacter... shady and sad, in other words those tires are probably right on par with any other no name tire in the same price range is it crap ? maybe not but its certainly not the goodyear tire quality and performance that made goodyear proud...it likely a goodyear knockoff made overseas and being marketed by goodyear. like levis jeans (Who went out of business and sold the name years ago to egypt btw)..(Am I bitter? yeah )
On the flipside there are many offbrand tires made my goodyear-dunlop corp (yes they are the same company now) that are great tires just marked and marketed as cheaper brands...(dunlop-goodyear are one of my customers and I visit the plant often and shoot the **** talking tires with the engineers while working on their equipment.)

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 10-05-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i did a google search and came up with a mix of opinions.
looks like 265 is the largest size available.
also looks like it has only a 2 ply sidewall. not sure on the load rating.

its got a good looking impressive tread, but its probably a pretty cheap tire.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM
bardram
Veteran

yeah I figured it was probably too good to be true. Heres my situation, I purchased the truck and it had some 15" aftermarket weld rims with 31" tires and I dont like the rims. The guy gave me the stock 16" rims with it but the tires on it are shot. So I want to get some tires for the stock rims and go back to those. I do most of my driving on pavement, but some mild off roading. I also live in the Northeast and see a good amount of snow. Any suggestions on a good year-round set of tires that wont break the bank?

Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for mud/snow, i like these Dunlop Rovers. available in load D or E. $166 ea.
check out tire rack, and then ask your local guys to match/beat price.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

For great all season tires I recommend Cooper ST. They wore great and I could drive through a foot of snow no problem. I just had a new set of Nittos installed because the coopers had gotten very expensive. There was a set of Goodyears in the shop where I got the Nittos and they were so soft I could squish the tread with one finger. The Nittos I couldn't squish with my whole fist. I will never buy Goodforayear.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bardram
I was in walmart today and saw these tires, and look really aggressive. They are only $130, and seem like a great tire for the money. I can't find any reviews of them online, they seem to be exclusive to walmart. I have never purchased tires from walmart and was just wondering if anyone had any positive/negative feedback about getting tires there, and if anyone has any opinions of the goodyear wrangler authority a/t.
NO! NO! NO! NO! Bad newbie!
Stay far far far away from the TLE at the Mart. You only thought you've heard horror stories about their work quality. When I first got this truck, I had a set of Michlen X- Radials. For those that remember, those were a SAM's club only tire. They were soft and wore like hell. After replacing them two at a time at over $200 a pop, I got sick of it. At the time, I was working for Walmart, and with my regular discount, and a christmas discount, I had the opertunity to get a new set of tires for 20% off. (That's sad aint it? the largest company in the world and they only give you a 10% discount and an extra 10% around Christmas.)

Anyways, I went with a set of Good year super sports. I really liked them in the beginning. They were listed at $150.00 a tire, and through my discount, I ended up with them installed and extra warranty out the door for 5 Benjamens.
They were super grippy. Just a great tire, or so I thought.
Here is a pic of the same set of tires at 15 thousand miles:
Name:  IMG_0168.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  122.6 KB

And finally, here is the last pic I have of those tires. This was taken when I had my current set put on.

My point here is- They don't wear worth a crap. I never torched the tires or anything like that. They just wore really quick.

Now, shop around man. I found a set of Hankook Dynamic radials, LT, Load E in a 10 ply, 245/75-16, for $530 on the truck. I've got about 10K on them now, and have yet to finally wear down the form nipples on the tread.

Pics

Name:  0604091352-01.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  97.1 KB
Name:  0604091352-02.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  52.1 KB

Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
NO! NO! NO! NO! Bad newbie!
Stay far far far away from the TLE at the Mart. You only thought you've heard horror stories about their work quality. When I first got this truck, I had a set of Michlen X- Radials. For those that remember, those were a SAM's club only tire. They were soft and wore like hell. After replacing them two at a time at over $200 a pop, I got sick of it. At the time, I was working for Walmart, and with my regular discount, and a christmas discount, I had the opertunity to get a new set of tires for 20% off. (That's sad aint it? the largest company in the world and they only give you a 10% discount and an extra 10% around Christmas.)
I will say that the last set of tires on the truck lasted years (at least 6) that were bought from walmart. The uniroyal liberator a/t's and came with a 50,000 mile warranty. They wore like ... something that doesn't wear lol. They still have usable tred too, but are now my backup set. My mother also used the goodyear tracker 2's that were a walmart exclusive on the intrepid and that tire too had long life. In conclusion, the family has had good luck with walmart tires. I do agree op that the new walmart tires do look sweet, and again thats why I said I checked them out. But since I couldn't find legitmate reviews of their performance, I decided to pass and bought some "good for a year's" (LOL) as somebody said in the thread. As far as expecting more than 20% during christmas... i think that is greedy, but to each his own.

Quick Reply: goodyear wrangler authority a/t