2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When and how to replace bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Something else your little 14 year old brain can't process must be respect since you have none. Take that pine cone out of your *** and post an answer to the question or don't say anything at all. It's pretty simple.

People acting like this are the reason why some members quit coming back.

Anyways, your local home depot or lowes should have what you're looking for. Definitely go to the mom and pop shops if you can find one.
Wow wow wow man. Pull horns out of his back door there good buddy. There is no reason to get out of control. Lets all go to bed now and forget this happen. You where young at one point and I'm sure you had some smart comments back in your day. He is just trying to have some fun it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTBPdVpdMc

Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand when people are just poking fun at each other or something, but it's pretty constant with this guy. If I was posting here for the first time, I would never ever come back if I were treated like an idiot, reguardless of whether or not I said the smartest things in my post. I love this whole site for all the Dodge info I get here, but sometimes it's very annoying to see someone get made fun of rather than helped.

Worst part is, is that I've seen purpl post some very insightful information, and other times he just does this. It really just clogs up the thread and ends up with less people in the forum. I want people coming back here, not leaving.

My rant's over, sorry for clogging up this whole thread.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amen bro..... as for mom and pop stores, yeah use em---if theyre fair, my g/fs dad needed some grade 8 bolts to put his hitch on, he goes down to the hardware store, bends over and gets raped by paying $20 for 8 nuts and bolts....ridiculous....next day i went to atwoods and priced there and it would have been less than $5

Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a thread gauge will give you the proper thread size. then you can match length to the new ones at the store.
http://www.toolrage.com/prodView.asp?sku=AHN-12018

lowes has a rack with multiple studs that you can use to match threads on and they have a good assortment of nuts and bolts.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Worst part is, is that I've seen purpl post some very insightful information, and other times he just does this.
I agree...what else can I tell you but puberty will do that to ya!!! Keep in mind he's a young buck.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:49 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SarcasticDwarf
* How do you decide when to replace a nut/bolt?
* How do you get the measurements?
* Where do you get them (I don't feel like spending $25/nut at the dealer)?
Originally Posted by SarcasticDwarf
That said, my concern with replacing them is more in getting the proper size and grade.
First question: how I decide. I like to replace my hardware if the head of the bolt is showing signs of stripping or rounding. If the threads of the bolt are stripping, malformed, or rusting. (Same thing for nuts)
Actually, I prefer to use brand-new hardware whenever possible.

Getting measurements: you can get a caliper gauge, as was suggested. This isn't always needed. Most of the hardware used on vehicles is standard size. Most stores have areas where you can thread your hardware into a labeled thing, so you can find out what size it is.A bolt is sorted by diameter, threads per inch, and length in the SAE sizes. (1/4-28x1 is a .25" bolt with 28 threads per inch, that is 1" long, likewise a 3/8-24x2 is a .375" bolt with 24 threads per inch that is 2" long).
I have bins of hardware in my garage, with labels of what is in each. I can easily take a bolt and know very fast the size and thread pitch.

Where to get: Lowes, Home Depot, and most farm supply stores (Tractor Supply, or Farm and Fleet) have selections of hardware.
WHAT to get is also important. The Lowes I've been to only have bulk amounts of zinc-plated bolts, like a blue-ish color. I believe those are grade 2. Which is great for certain applications, but not for automotive. MAKE SURE YOU GET GRADE 5 or GRADE 8 HARDWARE!!!! Grade 8 hardware is typically a yellow or gold in color. Grade 5 is typically gray or darker in color. (For grade 5, there will be 3 lines on the head, for grade 8 there will be 6 markings)
Grade 8 http://www.imperialsupplies.com/cat1.shtml
Grade 5 http://www.imperialsupplies.com/cat2.shtml

There may be times you just might not be able to go anywhere but the dealer for hardware. I had to get a new banjo bolt (attaches brake line to brake caliper, brake fluid flows through it) from the dealer because no auto parts store could get it. It was actually pretty cheap - $2/each.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies (especially dodgerules). I guess I will be making a few trips to the local Ace (the closest to a ma and pa we have here).

On that note, does anyone know if there are any standard size nuts/bolts used on our trucks? I would rather pick up a box of the common sized than have to run to the store every time. It seems as though it would just be easier to replace all of them as I come across them.

By the way, I have been here long enough to know who the trolls are

Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go to A&A Tradin Post to check out nuts.
I bought another battery tray a year ago to mount my compressor in. I'll have to dig up my receipts to see where I got it from.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Aubrey
I go to A&A Tradin Post to buy nuts and bolts.

I fixed that for you! LOL

Old 10-08-2009, 04:27 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for the BS.

Quick Reply: When and how to replace bolts