2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

axle gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:28 AM
msbennie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question axle gears

Hey all. I'm a newbie here and i have a question. i am trying to find what axle gears i have without removing my covers and counting unless i have to. i can't find the sticker under my hood. i want to go bigger with the tires but not to big for the gears. i like the power i have and don't want to loose to much to tires. i am lifting it to match tires so don't want to waste money on the wrong stuff. thanks for the help.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

Most of our trucks (probably around 90% or more) have the 3.55 gears. That means 285/75R16 tires (just shy of 33s) are the largest you should go, otherwise it will cause excess wear various things, the main one being your transmission and O/D unit.

The 265/75R16 tires I have now are the largest I plan on doing (I have 3.55s) until I can swap in the 3.92s I have sitting in my closet.

A scant few trucks came with 3.92s from the factory (it was an option), the Off Road editions came with 4.10s.

Fill out this form:
http://www.dodge.com/wccsapp/univers...ull&category=U
And ask for a build sheet for your truck. Chrysler will reply with a complete build sheet of what your truck originally came with.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm closing this thread because Jason gave you a great answer and because this question gets asked far too often and can easily be answered buy doing a search.

Quick Reply: axle gears