2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram Sport Map Light problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009 | 09:53 PM
dvz
|
Default 1999 Dodge Ram Sport Map Light problem

Does anyone know how to change the bulbs in the map lights? Yesterday I clicked on the right light and it broke leaving me unable to turn the light off. I need to get the assembly off and haven't got a clue how to do it. Manual is no help at all. Help Please!

Old 07-11-2016 | 05:05 PM
lfross

No answers since 2009?????????!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2016 | 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Apparently not.

Depends on which overhead console you have though too.

Old 07-13-2016 | 06:41 PM
lfross
Default overhead console 2004 Ram

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that the forum still has life! I was worried about that or that I had drifted down the wrong "rabbit hole!"
2004 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 2x4 w/ SLT trim package.

I was successful in removing my overhead console and found it to be relatively easy. After removing the lenses, two T10 screws were shiny and obvious and upon removing them, the console needed very little coaxing to hang down by the wiring harness. Both lamps and switches were exposed and easy enough to deal with. I was able to see my particular issue and that the small cheap (looking) switch had fallen apart. After 12years and 140,000 plus miles, I wouldn't complain. I was luckily able to find all of the parts and squeeze it back together. Both lights illuminate now and I am relieved not to have to delve into further possible issues ( like a timing module or =) I am sorry that I didn't take some pics to show the process to others but will if the switch falls apart again. I am sure it will as the push button doesn't operate properly, But the lights go off now when I close the door or start the engine and all lamps are working. I at least was given confidence by the forum to go it on my own and happy to, again: to receive your response - thx

Old 07-13-2016 | 06:48 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran

I see you figured it out on your 3rd gen. For my 2nd gen '99 Slt with the goofy garage door opener compartment it was easy. Just pry slightly on the Button/lens on the one side and it pops out exposing the bulbs. Just FYI for anyone who comes across this issue. Also in the FAQ section there are complete service manuals for our Dodges that come in pdf so you can download and print whatever pages you need. LIFE SAVER!!!

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram Sport Map Light problem