2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SCT tuner hemifever

Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 AM
jb0215066
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all
I've never done any tuning before. I've been reading a lot about it and I'm liking the way it sounds. 97 5.9 ram sport 4x4 btw, does anyone know where I can talk to someone about this?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Hemifever Tuning. He is the only one I am aware of that supports pre-98 trucks.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:04 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cntry_prernnr
Ill be coming from a deathflash

i also need a way to change my tire size for the speedo (been lookin at an edge ct for a monitor system but i dont know if it changes tire ratios for speedo)

like asked a bit back, is the sct scanner bought from hemi or a dealer? (does the hemifever tune include the physical tuner or is it just the programming?)
I don't know if your year truck uses a speedometer gear or not. My 96 does, and when I changed my tires and gears I bought a different tooth count gear and swapped it out in literally a couple minutes. Maybe this will help:

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/sp...e_and_jeep.htm

I've also got the hemifever tuner on my truck (1996 SLT 1500 4x4 5.2 auto 4.10 gears 2" lift 285/75/16" tires). I've only been running the 87 octane tune though so I don't really feel a big difference.

Last edited by armynurse; 02-19-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by armynurse
I don't know if your year truck uses a speedometer gear or not. My 96 does, and when I changed my tires and gears I bought a different tooth count gear and swapped it out in literally a couple minutes. Maybe this will help:

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/sp...e_and_jeep.htm
That post was almost two years ago.

98 and up don't use speedo gears.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That post was almost two years ago.

98 and up don't use speedo gears.
That's funny; I didn't look to see how old the post was. Maybe I should start looking at dates from now on before commenting. I do a lot more reading than posting on this forum. Hopefully he's figured it out by now.

And I knew somewhere in there they stopped using the speedo gears. Now I know when - 1998. Thanks! Changing speedo gears was so easy; then they had to go make it difficult.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by armynurse
That's funny; I didn't look to see how old the post was. Maybe I should start looking at dates from now on before commenting. I do a lot more reading than posting on this forum. Hopefully he's figured it out by now.

And I knew somewhere in there they stopped using the speedo gears. Now I know when - 1998. Thanks! Changing speedo gears was so easy; then they had to go make it difficult.
But, its oh-so-much-better....... Yeah. Right. Uh-huh.

You aren't the first, and won't be the last.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 PM
pipeking
Veteran

when I did my fathers custom tune on his "cough, cough, 06 Silverado" it was through blackbear performance and what they did was send me a data logger and ask me what kind of driving I will be doing, then sent me a pcm. it woke that truck up like I never could imagine, really couldn't believe the gains in the seat. compared to my superchips what a waste SC is. does the sct do it in a similar way; data logging and stuff.
his data log consisted of: his frequent highway driving, in town driving, step incline pull (large hill) and a couple WOT pulls thru 1+2 auto
I thought that was really thorough and custom. he doesn't have a programmer with different tunes, but it is free to have them retune for something else. again I was impressed with the gains!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hemifever has 'canned' tunes for lightly modded engines, do things like alter fuel/timing tables, and turn off torque management, adjust shift points, etc. I haven't seen anyone complain about them yet.

For custom tunes (which cost more), data logging is pretty much a requirement. he just sends the tunes though, you put them onto the tuner, and then upload them to the PCM.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 PM
brad_12
Amateur

Can't wait to get mine should be here next week and all steering components will be done also. Be like a brand new truck!

Old 02-21-2014, 04:23 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad_12
Can't wait to get mine should be here next week and all steering components will be done also. Be like a brand new truck!
Don't get too carried away with your expectations...don't get me wrong, the tuner is good and is definitely a nice addition, but your truck has 3.55 gears and 33" tires i'm assuming from the info in your sig...and it seems that all you'll have done as far as mods go is the tuner and exhaust. You'll probably notice a difference with the 91 octane tune, but don't expect to feel like you've got a hemi under the hood

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCT tuner hemifever