2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bumper Sag

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009 | 04:20 PM
Ram_Me
|
Captain
Default Bumper Sag

Does anybody know how to fix the front bumper from sagging? There's lots of bolts on it, and I don't want to make it worse by messing with the wrong bolts. If you know of any thread that has info on this please let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2009 | 04:22 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

IIRC, the bolts on the two center support brackets are what need adjusting, where they connect to the frame.

Look at the "Merry Christmas" thread, at the 2001 service manual (its an Adobe PDF). 2001s (non-Sport models) have the same bumper/brackets/etc. as your 1996.

Old 10-20-2009 | 04:26 PM
Ram_Me
|
Captain

Will do, thank you. I was getting really tired of the sag and I wanted it done right!

Old 10-20-2009 | 04:28 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

I have a tiny gap myself, from when I replaced my front bumper (accident). I just don't think its worth it to get in there, under there, and loosen/remove bolts, try to adjust the big freak'n heavy bumper by myself, while tightening bolts. I need four arms.

But if you have the will and perhaps a second person to assist you, go for it.

Old 10-20-2009 | 09:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

easy fix. spray all those bolts with pb-blaster or wd40 and let it soak. i think its a 18mm deep well with a good heavy breaker bar. those bolts are real tight. loosen them all up so you can shift everything around easily. each bolt is slotted with a couple of inches of movement. don't worry about messing it up, you'll be fine. i used 2 floor jacks to hold the bumper up on each side without busting a gut. positioned it level and even, then snugged each bolt, then tighten the **** out of them. you can do the rear also.

Quick Reply: Bumper Sag