2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help,My 1500 4x4 is fast falling apart..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
walkingant
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help,My 1500 4x4 is fast falling apart..

My 1999 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the 318 V8 Auto tranny has caught a few "bugz" these last 2-3 weeks.

# 1 Runs rough--need to run with the OD off most of the time. Up hills it sputters and coughs and sounds strange. I added fuel injector cleaner 3 times, and each time it seemed to help for awhile...also changed the spark plugs. Just drove back from a city 108 miles and it used 5/8 of a tank of gas..*sigh*

The "check engine" light was coming on, and each code came back as.."The powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition" on various cylinders.

# 2 Hard to shift from 2-3 at about 30 mph--will revve up and shift hard--but at other times shifts as "normal".. I would say about 75% of the time, its hard to shift....25% ok shifting.

# 3 I was turning a corner in town, turned the turn signal on, half way through the corner the signal stopped...but the lever was still in the right turn signal postion. After that, I now have no turn signals, no hazard lights and no break lights.

I checked the fuses--changed all of them just to be sure. I just came from the dodge dealer and after spending $ 47.00 for the 5 prong mutltiple use flasher...still no signals etc.

Could this be something in the turn-signal-hazard switch assembly in the steering column? AS of right now, I can't drive my dodge--

I know its a bunch o' stuff but if anyone has any ideas...would appreciate it. I would take it to a garage, but I was "downsized" a couple months ago and don't have the funds for a mechanic...Thanks

Last edited by walkingant; 10-21-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i had the same problem with my lights. its a ground in the rear at a connector

Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

wow... this is gonna take a while.

be patient

Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by walkingant
My 1999 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the 318 V8 Auto tranny has caught a few "bugz" these last 2-3 weeks.

# 1 Runs rough--need to run with the OD off most of the time. Up hills it sputters and coughs and sounds strange. I added fuel injector cleaner 3 times, and each time it seemed to help for awhile...also changed the spark plugs. Just drove back from a city 108 miles and it used 5/8 of a tank of gas..*sigh*

The "check engine" light was coming on, and each code came back as.."The powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition" on various cylinders.
I know you ran the injector cleaner and changed the plugs, but what about the rest of a tune-up? When was the last time the spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor were replaced?

# 2 Hard to shift from 2-3 at about 30 mph--will revve up and shift hard--but at other times shifts as "normal".. I would say about 75% of the time, its hard to shift....25% ok shifting.
When was the last time you did a tranny fluid and filter change?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
walkingant
Default When was they changed--

The last "tune-up" done by the dodge dealer was in june of 07, same as the tranny, as we were taking a trip to New Orleans and Jacksonville florida...would it need those again already? Only been about 57k since both.

Anyone have any thoughts on the broken turn signals/no hazard/no break lights fiasco? I know someone mentioned rear ground...?

Thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

best outcomes for tune-ups IMO is doing it every 60K

Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 PM
walkingant

So I guess no one has a guess on the no turn signals, no hazards and no break lights problem?

Couldn't find any "ground" at the rear at a connector...please expand?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's probably the multi switch. (directional switch) You can remove the covers off the steering column and see if you have any burnt wires, and remove the switch and the wire harness from it and see if any of the pins are burnt in the plug and were it connects to the switch. Also you should do the same for the headlight switch.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:01 PM
walkingant
Smile Checked out the wiring harness

I removed the wiring harness from the directional switch, had a blue cover and one center bolt. It all looked clean, both the pin side and the harness. I used a mirror to examine it, since I have to go to the parts store to buy that small star head with a hole in it for that little bitty pin thats in the center---soooo I couldn't remove the directional switch. Will find the tool and examine the switch..

Does the directional switch come apart? Or is there a way to cross the wires on the haness to see if I just need to buy a new directional switch?

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First off, you need a set of security torx bits. As far as the switch itself goes, it could be bad(internally) even if you don't see anything burnt on the outside. If you think all the wiring looks good and fuses are good, chances are the switch is no good. And no, the switch does not come apart.

Quick Reply: Help,My 1500 4x4 is fast falling apart..