2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Suspension Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 AM
97black_ram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say check the body mount bolts.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
gipperkid
Veteran

Ok well I fixed my clunk. Decided to check the the lower shock mounts. The bolts were tight, but I guess not tight enough. I torqued the bolts another 3/4 turn. i took my truck over speed bumps and sunken in manhole covers. No more clunk. I am so glad to have that annoying sound gone. To those with the problem, double check every bolt on the front suspension just to be sure.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I also had an annoying clunk from the front end I tried the shock bolts but it ended up being my control arm bushings worn out. Just something for others to check into

Old 10-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Keith_izzle

When I switched to rancho shocks about 5 years ago the lower shock mount bushings were just a tiny bit larger then the shock ones. After about 2 years I had the "clunk". I checked out all the bolts to find that the lower front shock mount bolts had the threads under the bushing worn away, creating play and a "Clunk". I put new bolts in only to have the same thing happen 2 years later. I ended up putting different shocks on but using an OEM dodge (Whatever brand of shocks came on this) bushing for the lower mount. No problems.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

Well i rarely have been having this problem on my truck now. I tightened every bolt on the suspension that i could think of and the problem has dissappeared for the most part. However not completely. On the rare occasion i have still been hearing this. I believe though that i need to replace my shock. The shocks are original with 114,500 miles on them and it is time. I ordered a pair of rancho rsx shocks for my truck. Heard good reviews about them and was able to find ones that fit my off-road package ram.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this clunking problem is caused nearly completely by the shock mounting bolts. Especially the lower one. On my friends 2500 ram we replaced a bunch of suspension components and when we went to replace his shocks found the passenger side lower shock bolt wore away where the bolt went through the bushing on the shocks. I think tightening the bolts often on the front lower shock mounts might help cure this problem. It will keep the bolt tight enough so it doesn't spin and cause movement in the shock bushings. That is just a guess at the problem, other people feel free to chime in.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

OK added new rancho rsx shocks tonight. Torqued everyfaster on shocks to oem spec. Test drove and heard no clunks at all. Took some bumps kinda rough to test it out too. Nothing so far. Hopefully the clunks are gone for good. So far im liking the shocks quite a bit. Well see how they handle different conditions

Old 11-11-2009, 11:50 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

Also a not that when removing one of my old shock i believe the bushing may have been causing some noise. It did not seem loose, however when i was removing the shock from the shock tower the bolt snapped right of the shock. Glad to have the shocks replaced.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 AM
estech2
Professional

I too have these issues except I can feel it in the steering column/ wheel and the peddels when I accelerate. I have been through the other mentioned and placed a good shim in the slip joint in the steering column but I have yet to over come my issue. I think it is inside the cab somewhere?

Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

have you looked at the steering column inside the truck underneath the dash? or even the gear selector linkage sometimes makes weird noises. Just a couple areas to maybe look

Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

Well after all the replacement of parts on my front suspension, the dreaded clunk is back or probably never left. It confuses the heck out of me. Sometime next week in a last desperation im going to try tightening all the body mounts, tighten the steering box to the from, check the torque on the pitman arm, and i even thought about tightening the actual adjustment on the top side of the steering gear box.

I'm really at a loss for what this problem may be. These are the only last things i can think of. I was thinking it could possibly be coming from the actual steering gear box itself, but im not sure how to narrow this down. I know the steering shaft has a little play in it, but i've heard that from the factory they aren't much better. Eventually i would like to get the support bracket/bushing that is being made for these trucks to help stop the shaft movement.

This problem is really frustrating the crap out of me. Im a college kid with little money. In a last desperation anyone have any ideas what this noise could be from?

Quick Reply: Suspension Clunk