2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans band adjustment help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xray99
I beg to differ, it can hurt adjusting bands.
At least one member, purple dodge I believe, toasted his tranny doing just that.

That's because he admittedly did it wrong. And plus, there was nothing wrong with his tranny to begin with, so he didn't even need to do it.

However, I will say that it's not a job for the novice to attempt.

Last edited by zman17; 10-28-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
That's because he admittedly did it wrong. And plus, there was nothing wrong with his tranny to begin with, so he didn't even need to do it.

However, I will say that it's not a job for the novice to attempt.
Thats what I'm sayin.
I was going to do this myself some months back, but backed off.
I recall there was some confusion because a set of different torque specs were floating around.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
ladodgerfan
Cool

ya and im a novice so i will leave it to a pro, i did change the fluid and filter but there was only small fragments in pan ... someone is dropping by tonight so i can use his scanner hope i find a code or two. I'd rebuilt it my self but i dont have the correct tools to start and finish .. broken down truck and no money to fix crapo thats life.....

thanks for all the info guys

Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

so your saying it shifts fine into all gears but then at the same time your saying the rpms just climb at it doesn't speed up like it should which would indicate its in fact not shifting when it should?.... If that's the case it could be electrical like the transducer ,governor pressure solenoid or throttle position sensor or even speed sensor acting up.....but any of these are way less than a rebuild....mine wouldn't shift out of second right then quit shifting out of first (limp home mode) and the transducer and gov soleniod fixed it for me...... Just something to consider if it seems to delay shifting and then late or not at all....
oh yea my $60 harbor frieght code reader gave me a 1741 error so if you see that your already ahead.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 PM
ladodgerfan

bingo you nailed it, its not shifting around 20 and u can really tell when u go up a hill. Sure hope its won of those sensors gone bad

Old 10-28-2009, 10:33 PM
xray99
Banned

If your not confident in your ability to adjust bands, for sure don't try a home brew rebuild.
There are shops that work on trannys, and only trannys, for a reason - They are complex, unforgiving mechanical devices, and a lot of great mechanics never bother to learn the first thing about working on them.
Hopefully it won't come to a rebuild, if it does, shop around.

Sensors on the other hand are an easy fix and not too much $$, I did a DIY some time ago when I replaced mine.

Quick Reply: Trans band adjustment help?