2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More questions (suggestions) for my ram build...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 PM
snopro879
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More questions (suggestions) for my ram build...

So as some may have noticed I have a 97 2500 ram with the 360 in it...all in pieces. I'm throwing a used engine in it since the one it came with had a bad valve seat. I don't want to do anything in depth to this used engine (as far as performance) but things like headers and intake and whatnot (stuff that can be easily transfered to another engine in the future) is something that I'm looking into. First off...where the hell can I find a quality set of long tube headers? The truck came with hacked off exhaust after the manifolds that were clamped into true duals with some cheap mufflers. I'd like to get a set of long tube headers that I can X or H pipe and put an upstream oxygen sensor in, then exit with whatever I decide to do at the time. I know there will be a little bit of customizing that will need to be done but I'm up for the challenge. I don't want to pay $1000 bucks for exhaust, but I'd like to spend a little now on a nice set of ceramic coated long tube headers that I can keep in the truck for it's lifespan. Next, I'm pretty sure the rims that are on it are offset (they stick out further then what I'm used to seeing.) How much offset can these trucks handle before premature wear starts? Reason being is that I'm going to be doing upper and lower ball joints (drivers side is really bad already) and I'd like to not have to do them again because of stupid offset wheels. I'm also throwing on a 3 inch body lift...anything I need to watch out for? Is it worth it to get the covers that hide the gap between the frame and body? And ummm...I think that's it for now...I'll be asking a lot of questions probably in the near future since this is the first Dodge I've ever owned. Thanks guys and sorry for the numerous threads.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:43 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Suggestion when you put the engine in, Replace intake plenum, water pump, timing chain, all seals and gaskets, tune up, oil change, thermostat, belt, hoses, and just normal maintnance stuff.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Hey purpl, you forgot about the freeze plugs?! change those while you have a chance.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

looks like youve got a pretty good plan there.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
snopro879

Heh already one step ahead of you guys. I did the freeze plugs a day after I got the engine. The previous owner had water pump timing and timing chain done about 15k before he totaled the truck. I'm using 7.3 powerstroke diesel silicone with no gasket to seal the intake...I figured I'd try something new (unless others have heard of this) I don't understand how the hughes plenum bracket plate thing would help at all so I wen't a different route. Thermostats sitting in a box waiting for the intake to be put back on, and I have a set of felpro gaskets for the intake. I'm really courious about the headers though guys. I really want to do long tube, even with the extra work involved. But, like I said, I haven't been able to locate a set of good long tube headers. And, as mentioned in my first post, has anyone ran offset wheels and not had a lot of problems? I don't know if it's worth putting new bearings in when I do my ball joints...I may just reuse the old ones. But, in the near future I'd like to put 35 inch tires on this thing, and I don't want to kill the bearings and ball joints on this thing just because of stupid offset rims. Another thing...does the PCM take care of spark and ignition timing on rams? There's a mopar performance box in this thing that hooks into the wiring that goes to the coil, and then goes to a MSD blaster 3 coil that was basically duct taped to the manifold when I got the truck. Should I rip all that crap out and run an accel coil? They also had MSD wires installed...any good or no? This truck was owned by a hard core redneck...not hillbilly, a redneck...so it's been hacked together quite a bit and I'm trying to make it right...as well as add some good performance. Thanks for the tips and help guys!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of intake are you running?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 PM
snopro879

Stock intake for now, the other engine that I will be putting in will most likely have the hughes air gap.

Quick Reply: More questions (suggestions) for my ram build...