2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Metric Tire Sizes Confuse Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
audiomechanic
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a link to a Buckshot review which includes available sizes. I believe the stock 17" steel rims are 9" wide. Could be wrong but I think they're bigger than 8" wide.

Helps if I post the link: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...hot-Mudder.htm

EDIT 2: scratch the above. Helps if I scroll further down the chart. They do come in a 285X70R17. Doh.

So it's between the 305 and the 285. The 305 is very close to the 33X12.50 I am running now. The only difference I see is that the backspacing on the wheels would push them into the body, thus potentially creating clearance issues on the control arms. I suppose I need to measure the distance from the edge of the tire to the control arm at full lock, then measure the difference in back spacing between the stock rim and the Centerlines to determine if rubbing will be an issue.

Ugh.

Last edited by audiomechanic; 10-29-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaRam95
those are some pretty good links.

this one is still my favorite.
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
they are some of the first to come up when you google "tire conversion" or "tire calculator"
I used the miata one on monday to help answer a question in another thread...
when the rims stick out you actually have less clearence than stock rims as far as rubbing on the fender....its a tradeoff though as they might hit the frame/control arms.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
Here's a link to a Buckshot review which includes available sizes. I believe the stock 17" steel rims are 9" wide. Could be wrong but I think they're bigger than 8" wide.

Helps if I post the link: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...hot-Mudder.htm

EDIT 2: scratch the above. Helps if I scroll further down the chart. They do come in a 285X70R17. Doh.

So it's between the 305 and the 285. The 305 is very close to the 33X12.50 I am running now. The only difference I see is that the backspacing on the wheels would push them into the body, thus potentially creating clearance issues on the control arms. I suppose I need to measure the distance from the edge of the tire to the control arm at full lock, then measure the difference in back spacing between the stock rim and the Centerlines to determine if rubbing will be an issue.

Ugh.
I believe you will be okay and have more clearence all around with the stock backspacing....I had 35" muddere on 9" rims with stock back spacing and just a body lift and (I think) 2500 springs in front and it cleared better than with my new 10"wide 4 " backspaced rims

Old 10-29-2009, 12:48 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Nice! Well cool then!

Thanks, guys.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:48 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Holy *****, Batman!!! The prices of tires have SKYROCKETED! When I bought my 33X12.50R15 Buckshots, they were about 600 for the set shipped. Now, that same set is almost 800 dollars! OUCH! WTF happened? Did Greenpeace get the government to infringe more taxes on tire companies?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, **** that. Buckshots were nice because they were cheap. If you're gonna pay $800 bucks for them get Super Swampers SSRs, or BFG Mud terrains.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:36 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

I never liked the look of SuperSwampers or noise level of them, but BFG's are worth considering. The tread pattern between the Buckshots and the MTs is very similar.

Quick Reply: Metric Tire Sizes Confuse Me