2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low on power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
AlabamaRam95
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
i went with the E3 plugs, (6.99 a piece at advance auto parts) and i love them
WOW...56$ for spark plugs???

i dont think i have soent that much on plugs all together as long as i have owned my truck.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Mudshack
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry. Chrysler.

I melted my wires to the engine block on another vehicle when I upgraded the plugs, but not the wires.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i saw your other thread that said you are low on tranny fluid. that will make it sluggish.
so will your 32.8" tires on stock 3.55 gears, a blown plenum gasket, plugged cat, worn out upstream o2 sensor and the death flash.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Mudshack
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I thought I was imagining things...but when the tranny fluid was up to the right level, I thought she was more spunky.

I got a little mirror, and plan on checking the Plenum. I need to get the air filter body out anyhow to check the filter. I am going to have the truck in for inspection and an alignment at the Stealership...should I ask them to take care of the death flash? Who do you go to for that?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

they will look at you like you're stupid if you say death flash.
if you show them the tsb that is the death flash and explain how it retards the timing and screws you out of the engines full potential. then explain how it was dodge's way of saving a boatload of labor by doing a pcm flash instead of fixing the plenum gasket then they will tell you that there isn't a problem and the flash was what should have been done.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you can do for the said "death flash" is get a tuner, such as SCT or Superchips, or find a PCM that does not have the death flash.

One way you can find out whether or not you have the death flash is by looking at the PCM. It's all the way in the back of the engine compartment, on the passenger side. It's silver metal with black plastic and has three large sets of wires on it. If there's a sticker on the metal part that says something like "Chrysler Authorized Software Update," then you have the death flash.

Even if you don't have the death flash, a tuner will still help.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

it normally says authorized software update. also, if it is hand written then that is a dead giveaway.

the superchips is the way to go. the death flash retards the timing by 4º and the superchips tuner advances the timing by 4º. so it eliminates the flash completely.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudshack
Well, I thought I was imagining things...but when the tranny fluid was up to the right level, I thought she was more spunky.

I got a little mirror, and plan on checking the Plenum. I need to get the air filter body out anyhow to check the filter. I am going to have the truck in for inspection and an alignment at the Stealership...should I ask them to take care of the death flash? Who do you go to for that?
A small mirror will give you a good idea if you have a blown plenum, but the best way to check it is with a vacuum guage. Just like the TSB says to do. I think I have a plenum leak as well but I just don't have the money right now to buy the hughes kit. I think it' 100 bucks, not bad, but still, you know?!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:27 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i found that if you take the TB right off, and look down there with a flashlight the best way, because you can see the entire inside of the intake...and thats how i found mine was blown. Couldnt tell by lookin through the butterflies. i actually had to take TB off to find it.

Quick Reply: Low on power?