2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 PM
RockRam2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem

Looking for ideas on this problem:

Turn key on everything powers up lights, bells, whistles, fuel pump everything works as it should, except the truck doesn't start. I have to jumper at the relay under the hood.

I have put in a new iginition switch (did not replace the key) new park/nuetral switch and new relays. tested the power at the switch and everything seems to check out, the solenoid on the starter is getting power and fires right up when I jumper it at the relay.

I am just at a loss as to what the hell this could be, is it a bad ground?

I am open to all suggestions

Old 10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

try this...with the negative termianl off the battery, have someone holding the key into the start position, and as they are holding the key, drop the terminal on the post. i had a simialar problem, did this, and it starts every time now

Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 PM
RockRam2500

Sounds simple enough...I will give it a try tonight. Thanks for your reply

Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I had a black box mounted under my dash from the dealer. I had a similar experience where I turned the key to run, and jumped the solinoid wire and I was good to go although it was a mega pain poping the hood multiple times. Anyway yeah I had a box that spliced into the ignition signal wire. Its purpose was while the truck was on the dealer lot, it wouldn't allow you to start it even with the key. I guess 7 years down the road it decided to fail so my truck acted the same as yours. As far as I know the yellow wire from the ignition switch goes directly to the relay. either way that was my problem. After I cut the box out and butt crimped the wires back together... I have been perfect ever since. I originally thought it was the starter so I am sure you can image after I replaced the starter and it didn't fix the problem, I was a bit mad. I don't know how many dealers did this, but look on the lower section of your dash panel and see if you have anything attached to it like a connector. I wish I had a picture of what mine looked like before i removed it.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:25 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
try this...with the negative termianl off the battery, have someone holding the key into the start position, and as they are holding the key, drop the terminal on the post. i had a simialar problem, did this, and it starts every time now
So what exactly is that suppose to do?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
So what exactly is that suppose to do?
It starts every time now! Can't you read?

Guess I would try replacing the ASD relay though.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:26 PM
ET RAM
Rookie

Check you relay socket for pins 86 and 85 to make sure they are good. Pins 30 and 87 are good because you can jump it to start. With the ignition key held at start, you should have voltage at the socket for pin 86. The socket for Pin 85 goes to ground.

The way the system works is when you turn the key to start, voltage flows from the battery thru the start switch to pin 86 to pin 85 to ground. This engergizes the relay to start.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:35 PM
RockRam2500

Originally Posted by ET RAM
Check you relay socket for pins 86 and 85 to make sure they are good. Pins 30 and 87 are good because you can jump it to start. With the ignition key held at start, you should have voltage at the socket for pin 86. The socket for Pin 85 goes to ground.

The way the system works is when you turn the key to start, voltage flows from the battery thru the start switch to pin 86 to pin 85 to ground. This engergizes the relay to start.

Hope this helps.
Certainly does help, I could not figure out where the ground was.

Regarding the black box under the dash, it is quite possible it was there a few months ago ...I bought this truck used and the PO spliced into just about every wire under the dash to install an alarm and a bass thing. Everything seems routed properly however I will chase the yellow wire back to the box to make sure everything is good.

I am getting power into the yellow and blue wires from the ignition so I have a feeling it may be the ground at the relay. I have checked contact points and swapped in new relays..have tried just about everything imaginable. Had the tranny rebuilt a week ago and the mechanic felt the same as most here it was from the box to the ignition some where that was causing the problem. But after paying for the tranny I couldn't afford to let him track it down and fix it.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

my idea is to bypass whatever is causing the short for it not to start, and boosting the starter directly. thats what it does

trust me because you say you have an alarm. i guarentee this will work because i had the Viper alarm system and had to take it out because every time i disconnected the battery i had to jump it like this. but right when i ump it, i can shut it off, and it will start back up. took out the alarm, and doesnt do it anymore. even whn i disconnect the battery

Last edited by 95RAM360; 10-30-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Time to install a push button start jk. I honestly was about too after my ordeal but I figured it out after I got pissed off enough to pull out the voltmeter and go hunting.

Quick Reply: Ignition problem