2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head Light Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:02 PM
jakehale
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Light Conversion

Hello all....

I find myself wanting to do the sport headlight conversion on my 99 ram SLT. My headlights are shot, the plastic is foggy and old. I know they can be cleaned but the trucks is 10 years old and they are the original lights. I was searching for some new lights on ebay and parts store's then thought i would come here and see what folks are saying about new headlights. I ran into a few threads about converting the standard lights to the Sport model lights. I'm pretty sure i like this ideal... the problem? every thread i find on doing the conversion is "years" old and point to other links that are long gone.

So what i have gathered is my truck has only on bulb, the sport has two. My harness will need to be modified. I noticed that LMC has a harness. Does anyone know if the harness from LMC just plugs into my old harness and ta-da i have two bulb sockets now? Do the lights themselves fit or do i have to cut some metal out of the truck?

Just looking for some "current" information about this mod.....

thanks for any help you can provide...

Jake

Old 11-01-2009, 04:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

You will have to cut some metal to make room for the second bulb. The Sport models had slightly different bodywork, or whatever you want to call it, around the sides of the radiator in the engine compartment to allow access to quad bulbs.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
bigtman07
Captain

Ok now I'm confused. I have a 98 ram sport and I don't see the quad bulbs. I have one bulb for high and low beams then my parks. Did I miss something? If you want to see pics I'll add some later but let me know plz.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigtman07
Ok now I'm confused. I have a 98 ram sport and I don't see the quad bulbs. I have one bulb for high and low beams then my parks. Did I miss something? If you want to see pics I'll add some later but let me know plz.
Yeah they changed the sports in 99. They had different headlights, different grill, and a different front bumper. They also had sticker badges instead of plastic ones.

Yours is like mine. The old sports only had color matching grills, and bumpers.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
bigtman07
Captain

ok thanks for clearing that up. so i can use standard aftermarket headlights?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM
jakehale

Ok Bigtman07,,, you got your problem identified. Now how about me?

thanks

Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
bigtman07
Captain

my bad dude. But as said before you would have to cut a little out of the metal and get the adapter. But let me do some digging and see what I can find for you. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 PM
bigtman07
Captain

Ok so from what I have found so far is that you will need to cut out the headlight bucket a bit to make room for the access to the 4 bulb setup. At suvlights.com you can order a whole harness for around 133 bucks. It supposedly comes with relays and the harness. So I hope this helps. I found a writeup about it on
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...onversion.html

This one was on a 96 but I would imagine it would be about the same till the 02 models when the whole truck changed.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
jakehale

there ya go!. much thanks! that wire harness is expensive as all get up.....

Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 AM
dodgeboy01
Amateur

go on ebay but clear head lights and then buy a HID head light kit i spent about 155 for my head lights they were clear and had clean parking lights.. and then i spend about 100 on HI/LOW HID kit 9004/9007 temp 6000k they are very bright and they are amazing on dark roads fog and actaully anything they are street legal as well( well in washington state they are) i spent about 255 total for the ehad light up grade... plus you can also up grade you fog lights with HID fog lights as well they will run you about 80 dollars they also make a big help too... i got all my stuff off ebay and i'm very very happy with it all

Quick Reply: Head Light Conversion