2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying my first truck - good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember that if your truck has been sitting that the gas does go stale. I believe it'll help to put in some sort of additive to stop/slow it.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Remember that if your truck has been sitting that the gas does go stale. I believe it'll help to put in some sort of additive to stop/slow it.
It has not been sitting long at all. Maybe a week or two, if that.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Well I bought the truck today. I'm happy with it. Just can't help but feel like I got raped at the notary office with taxes/fees.. Bleh. But I guess that's life.

When shifting from N to 4L it makes this sort of "drop" sound, but runs fine. Also from N to 4H it grinds sometimes. Is this normal/ok?

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I'll get some pictures up soon =].

Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by rideordie
Well I bought the truck today. I'm happy with it. Just can't help but feel like I got raped at the notary office with taxes/fees.. Bleh. But I guess that's life.

When shifting from N to 4L it makes this sort of "drop" sound, but runs fine. Also from N to 4H it grinds sometimes. Is this normal/ok?

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I'll get some pictures up soon =].
I believe the sound you are refering to is called "gear clash" and can be considered somewhat normal. The shift from 2H to 4L should be one motion instead of stopping in neutral on the transfer case. shifts between 2H and 4H can be done while in drive. Honestly, when I shift into 4L, I throw the trans in Neutral and shut the truck off. Shift to 4L and start her back up. That eliminates the grinding that sometimes occurs. I do the same to pull it back out of 4lo.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:05 AM
dodgeboy01
Amateur

buy it and your be happy i love my dodge its a pain in the *** sometime but its the ebst truck i've had

Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I believe the sound you are refering to is called "gear clash" and can be considered somewhat normal. The shift from 2H to 4L should be one motion instead of stopping in neutral on the transfer case. shifts between 2H and 4H can be done while in drive. Honestly, when I shift into 4L, I throw the trans in Neutral and shut the truck off. Shift to 4L and start her back up. That eliminates the grinding that sometimes occurs. I do the same to pull it back out of 4lo.
Ok. Is it better to shut the truck off in-between to prevent it, or to just go straight from one to the other without stopping at N? I just want to do whatever is best for the truck. I probably won't use it THAT often.

Originally Posted by dodgeboy01
buy it and your be happy i love my dodge its a pain in the *** sometime but its the ebst truck i've had
I'm happy with it =]. Hopefully it isn't a giant headache and goes smoothly. It's definitely been taken care of, that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Buying my first truck - good deal?