2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converting my 2wd into 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
rejectracing
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting my 2wd into 4wd

I have a 2001 ram that is in need of a new trans, and since it is going have to be replaced anyway I was considering doing a 4x4 conversion. The truck is in a half restored state, it was rolled over right after it was paid off and has since been fixed. I have my own daily driver now and so I want a new project to start on. I want a play toy to jack way up and drive around on the weekends and this would be the perfect starter truck. What parts will I need and what are the costs and the work involved in the project? I am fully aware that it could be expensive and time comsuming, but since I already have the truck and it was my first vehicle, I would like to keep it and just convert it. Thanks a lot!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets see:
You will need a trans from a 4WD, transfer case, frame, front axle, 4WD suspension, driveshafts.
Just keep the 2WD as your daily, then buy a 4WD as your play truck. Its too much work IMHO.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless there's something really, really special about your trucvk, it would make no sense on any level to try and do what you're proposing. This question gets asked a lot in here and the answer is always the same. It would be far easier and cheaper to just buy a 4wd truck. Of course, if you have a ton of money, excellent fabrication skills and a lot of time on your hands, go for it. This is not a simple bolt-on job.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
devramstuff
Rookie

remove air freshener from 2wd truck, install in 4wd truck, good luck

Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 PM
rejectracing
Rookie

I understand that it's not bolt on. What I need is input from anyone who has tried or succeeded in the deed. I normally build race cars, but this is just another fabrication project I would like to tackle.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gusse it up to how much money you got and time

so now you have the option of going with spring or leaf's up front(if your going to fad it up)

you can problem pick up a dana44 around 200 bucks but if your going to 37+ in tires dana60 would be sweet but that 700+ dollars

see if you go with leafs up front you will have to make a hanger and shackles which you could just cut off about any thing

or spring... tall spring may have to make new spring preek and make your own c-arms

then getting all the steertin hook back up to me would be the hardest part and getting the truck to track correct...

is this get going to but a trail rig or offroad/onroad going slower than 55?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 PM
rejectracing
Rookie

Just gonna be a play purty to take offroad and cruise the strip up town and backroad driving, not gonna be a daily driver at all

Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

I Build race cars too, along with street rods,motorcycles, even a couple of barstool racers, and a motorized cooler or 2. I'll put my fabrication/welding skills against anyone. BUT, there is no way on god's green earth I would spend the time and money to convert a 2wd to a 4wd. Get a junk 4x4 and THEN build what you want.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Twisted Metal
I Build race cars too, along with street rods,motorcycles, even a couple of barstool racers, and a motorized cooler or 2. I'll put my fabrication/welding skills against anyone. BUT, there is no way on god's green earth I would spend the time and money to convert a 2wd to a 4wd. Get a junk 4x4 and THEN build what you want.

+1 get a junk one with good body and frame, and covert your motor to it and so on. that is def. the best way to go.

Quick Reply: Converting my 2wd into 4wd