2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

chip or programmer in motor,who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
surferguy12
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip or programmer in motor,who has one?

got a 2001 dodge 1500 5.2 4x4 and wanted to see the results of chips you have put in your motors, is it worth it? any mpg change?noticeable hp gain?

if so name the type of chip, lookin for feedback on any ram 1500(5.2,5.9)
doesnt matter just would like to know your experience with having one

Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

no chip, tuner. More power, better mpgs depending on what tune you use.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:12 PM
surferguy12
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
no chip, tuner. More power, better mpgs depending on what tune you use.
what exactly is atuner and did u really notice the mpg change

Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Weldor
Veteran

From what I know a chip is pretty much just an expensive resistor, a tuner lets you choose from different settings and also allows you to let your computer know if your running bigger tires/lift.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by surferguy12
what exactly is atuner and did u really notice the mpg change
+1 or +2 yeah when on eco. tune. Truck has no ***** then.

A tuner is a hand held device that uploads a computer tune (similar to a chip i guess you could say ) that alters your pcms settings. I.e advancing /retarding timing, fuel pressure, a/f ratio ..blah blah.

If your going for mpgs in a truck, just stop there cuz its not going to happen.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 PM
surferguy12
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
+1 or +2 yeah when on eco. tune. Truck has no ***** then.

A tuner is a hand held device that uploads a computer tune (similar to a chip i guess you could say ) that alters your pcms settings. I.e advancing /retarding timing, fuel pressure, a/f ratio ..blah blah.

If your going for mpgs in a truck, just stop there cuz its not going to happen.
thanx just tryin to get some opinions before i start throwin down some money, ya i got the 5.2 and it seems like my truck has no ***** on the street already, wat about the hp gain, anything there?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by surferguy12
thanx just tryin to get some opinions before i start throwin down some money, ya i got the 5.2 and it seems like my truck has no ***** on the street already, wat about the hp gain, anything there?
On a stock truck, its nothing to write home about. But youll notice a difference, shifting is alot better. Not as much as a lull around 45 mph and stuff. Mine is alot faster with my SCT tune. Shifts at 5400 and stuff. Big difference for me

Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a hypertech and a superchips. both are similar in that they replace the stock pcm programming with more advanced timing for better performance. they also allow speedo/odometer correction for larger tires.

the hypertech provided a little more get up and go, and kept the shift pattern the same. the superchips is similar in performance, but for me, also reprogrammed the TC Lock and Overdrive shift. I think the superchips is better. I'd also sell the Hypertech cheap if you wanted it.

avoid the Jetchip.
SCT Tune is hot right now. also pricey.
there's another customer tune... i've forgotten its name.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

stay away from the volo ones on ebay....they dont work and dyno testing showed they acually hurt performance....
like mohawk said....(or rather should have said) if your looking for mpg increase dont bother with these on THIS series dodge truck....our trucks have the some of the lowest performance and and efficiency (MPG vs perfomance) ratings when compared against the other trucks of its day.(excluding diesel )..this changed in the 3rd gen series...sigh....hey at least its fun to drive while you can afford it!
I'm getting a decal made for the gas door that says "paycheck goes here"....hey maybe I can sell them to others on ebay....hmmm
also as far as the tuners most of what I read (at least dyno testing could prove) seems to suggest you have to go with the higher octane tune to really get your moneys worth out of the tuner mod....this will mean higher fuel costs instead of saving...sigh again

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-09-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
stay away from the volo ones on ebay....they dont work and dyno testing showed they acually hurt performance....
like mohawk said....(or rather should have said) if your looking for mpg increase dont bother with these on THIS series dodge truck....our trucks have the some of the lowest performance and and efficiency (MPG vs perfomance) ratings when compared against the other trucks of its day.(excluding diesel )..this changed in the 3rd gen series...sigh....hey
Cuz of mds yeah, never going to get a v8 gasser with good mpg.

Quick Reply: chip or programmer in motor,who has one?