2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rims getting chewed up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Rims getting chewed up?

i noticed today that my front Pass. side rim is gettin wear on the inside. its grinding up the surface of the rim, and is now grooved.

the wear mark is about 2 in wide and has a consistant wear all the way around. I tried turing the wheels to see if anything rubbed. nothing...had my g/f pump the brakes to see if the caliper broke somehow, and thats tight.

There is nothing touching the rim, but its wearing out, and i need to figure out whats causing this before it wears through the rim.

Ive brought it into the garage i work at. and my boss could find nothing. we put it on the lift and tried everything to make parts move and touch the rim, and nothing is touching.

Has anyone experianced this before? they are aftermarket rims. but the problem just started (about a week after i got my last alignment.)

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wheel bearing? did you check to see if you could actually wobble the wheel by hand? or maybe something got wedged in there and worked its way out?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

no we checked all the front end parts, although i do have play on the tie-rod ends. which is weird since i got an alignment 2 weeks ago, dont you think they would have caught this?

as for something being wedged, i thought that myself since i did go off-roading this week. but its still wearing as of right now and there is nothing wedged.

the only thing i guess is when it hits a bump thats when somethings hitting. but its a consistant wear, and id think that if it were on bumps, you would see a mark where it hit to come in contact (if you understood that)

but the only bad part is the tie-rods, and i dont think that could cause this, since when i turned the wheel they dont touch.

There is no wear marks on any of the parts either which is weird, so this is very hard to diagnose

Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
98Blue-Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What i would do is have someone stand at a corner of a street, then you drive by them and turn the corner. the only thing i can think of is something rubbing when you turn the steering wheel, but this is a very strange problem

Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only suggestion I have would be remove the wheel and coat the area where it rubs with something like grease or something. Put the wheel back on and drive it. Hopefully what ever you marked the inside of the wheel with will rub off on the area that is rubbing.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only thing that just the rim can be hitting is the front of the tie rod, or something, as mentioned, was stuck from wheeling. I would think you could here it, if it was rubbing while on the street. Of course it may have worn away enough so that it's not hitting now.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any pics?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you're saying its on the inside of the rim ? as opposed to the edge...

sounds like a big rock got wedged in between the wheel and the ball joint/tie rod/something.

put some duct tape or blue painters tape over the mark and drive it to see if it gets scratched any further. i bet its gone now.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

ok so i put a line of black paint on it to c if it would scrape. did a 147 mile trip and no more scraping, but this morning when i put tape on (original idea) it came off so i thought it was rubbing again, which it wasnt, the surface was filled with dirt and im assuming it flew off, and the tape took the dirt making it look like it was rubbing more. so it is all set. thanks for all the suggestions

Quick Reply: Rims getting chewed up?