2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Unusual oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
rafter40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual oil consumption

I ad about a quart of oil every week. What im wondering is if it is burning off, a bad head gasket, my plenum, or just leaking. Are there any other common problem areas? Behind the lowest thing connected to the serpentine belt (i think its under the water pump) there is a pretty big dark area with a slight oil consistency. I couldn't find a leak though.

Is there anything in this area that the oil might be leaking out or down from?

Also... i did crash the front of my truck ( at like 5 or 7 mph ) into a pole. i messed up the bumper and fender but nothing mechanically ( i hope) . It didnt leak before that but i dont know if (wont accept that) its related .

please bestow ur knowledge upon me guys

Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your plenum

Old 11-11-2009, 03:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1..........

Old 11-11-2009, 03:26 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your coolent and see if it looks like it has oil in it. Also check your throttle body too see if it has an oily sludge. Does your exhaust have a blue smoke when driving? Any power loss? Odds are as fast as its going away its is either burning it or leaking it. Park on piece of cardboard and see if there is any oil on it when you drive it the next time.

Josh

Old 11-11-2009, 06:14 PM
rafter40

will do. My coolent doesnt seem to have any oil in it, and when i start the truck it puts out white smoke. i cant really tell the color of smoke when im driving. Power wise... Sometimes it runs great and accelerates real fast ( surprises me), other times pretty bad. I think i might have the death flash. there is a official chrysler sticker that says " the following mods have been made XXXXXXXXXX AD". so i dont know if that means the plenum shouldn't be leaking i did hear something like that somewhere. I have looked for leaks on the ground but havent found any. im goin to try the cardboard.

is there anything that i should check for an oil leak in the general are of the lowest thing connected to the serpentine belt (i think its under the water pump).

offroadjosh said Also check your throttle body too see if it has an oily sludge.
is that the plenum check?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rafter40
will do. My coolent doesnt seem to have any oil in it, and when i start the truck it puts out white smoke. i cant really tell the color of smoke when im driving. Power wise... Sometimes it runs great and accelerates real fast ( surprises me), other times pretty bad. I think i might have the death flash. there is a official chrysler sticker that says " the following mods have been made XXXXXXXXXX AD". so i dont know if that means the plenum shouldn't be leaking i did hear something like that somewhere. I have looked for leaks on the ground but havent found any. im goin to try the cardboard.

is there anything that i should check for an oil leak in the general are of the lowest thing connected to the serpentine belt (i think its under the water pump).

offroadjosh said Also check your throttle body too see if it has an oily sludge.
is that the plenum check?
death flash doesnt do anything to stop the plenum leak.....all it does is mask it by changing the timing of the engine....in the process robbing your truck of power...just a cop out way for Dodge to save money and not do a proper recall.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what year is your truck usally 2000 and 01 have the flash, if you have flash and leaking plenum i couldnt imagine the power loss you have

Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes checking the throttle body for oil sludge will tell you if your plenum is leaking.

Josh

Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the lowest pulley in the serpentine belt path is the harmonic balancer/crank pulley. there is a seal around the crankshaft, inside the timing cover, called the front seal. they wear out at 100-150k and will seep a little oil. that might explain an oily mess in the front, however, if its not creating a BIG puddle on the ground, then its not a serious problem, nor is it related to your excessive consumption.

if its dripping green coolant around this area, then its the water pump, or a leaking timing cover gasket.

your excessive oil use is most likely the plenum gasket. welcome to dodge land.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:48 PM
rafter40

Thanks guys. looks like im gonna be checkin the plenum. I have heard about the hughes kit but are there any other recomended kits. Also what is a good place to purchase the kit from ?

Quick Reply: Unusual oil consumption