2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Converter? or what

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter? or what

Ok, here goes, i was about 50 mile from home this morning, i had ALREADY driven 200 miles, i was driving on a 2 lane state highway, and was on the brakes slowing down b/c someone in front of me was making a left turn, when i tried making it back up to speed, the truck shuddered, it was struggling even at an idle when in gear, and i couldn't get up over about 30, felt like it had no power, and had a weird shake even in park, also it made some sort of weird popping noise right before i pulled off to check for a puddle of ATF

i factored out the CAT (there was the normal amount of exhaust volume at the tip, in park the truck revved up like normal, cept for the shake, and i smacked the cat a few times with the handle for my floor jack)

i called a wrecker and got it towed the last 50 miles to the farm.

now, here's where it got weird, after dropping the truck off, i borrowed my grandma's old beater to get to a field, several hours later, i decided to see if Maroon would act the same as it did earlier, IT ACTED FINE?!?!?!?

i got up to 55 on the mile drive from the farm to home, not a thing

i'm thinking my torque converter is about to take a **** on me

any ideas

sorry for the novel

thanks

Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds more like a misfire to me. the transmission doesn't pump fluid in park so it wouldn't give you a shake in park.

a misfire will give you a popping noise (backfire). and it will give your engine a good bit of a shake while its misfiring.

check the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. you probably have a bad wire, plug or it could simply be a bad connection on either the cap or the plugs. make sure all the plug wires snap on.
i had to replace my wires because one of them didn't want to click and wouldn't stay on, even after i squeezed the metal piece inside together.

when you check the wires, look for cracks and make sure the metal piece in the ends will snap onto the plugs and the cap.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:15 PM
millertime 1321

if it was a misfire you would think it threw a code. are there any dtc's?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it is a 95, so it might not throw a code. or the bulb could be bad because it is so old.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really depends on that OBD I. I know from playing with other vehicles with the same computer on board that they rarely will show a misfire. You're more likely to get an emissions MIL light due to the poor performance in the motor.

Check your plugs first man. I hope that you don't have that infamous plenum horror headed your way.

As for ruling the cat out? I don't think you can at this point. If messing with the plugs and plug wires don't help, then pull your O2 sensor and let it get fresh air and see what happens.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:08 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

to tell you the truth ine was doing somewhat of the same thing on my way home from Maine this week (283 miles) threw a CEL too. (its a 95) Shut the truck off, turned it right back on, no CEL and ran fine. havent had a problem since.

but i havent changed my cat/ 02 sensors since the plenum fix, but i know mine wasnt misfiring. i know the feel of that. when i hit the gas, it just wouldnt want to go, and i had a pop and it had a MAJOR exhaust leak. and it was the EGR pipe it blew out the muffler cement i had on it. (cut the pipe when i did my plenum)

So i hacked up a can of Mt. Dew took a gear clamp and fixed it.

but like i said it may be the 02 sensor, and i know you said you cecked the Cat but its still a possibility.

and im sorry to say, but +1 on the Plenum...take off your throttle body, or just the airbreather (better view with TB off) and see if theres oil in your manifold. if there is, the plenum is gone.

Last edited by 95RAM360; 11-14-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:40 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

ok, i'll give it a look tomorrow before i leave, if i don't find anything, i may still borrow my grandma's truck for the week and have my shop look at it (i hate doing that though, i prefer doing work myself, but hey what can i do when i have college 250 miles away)

Quick Reply: Torque Converter? or what