2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough runner on low RPM's.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 AM
prophet_ej
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough runner on low RPM's.

New to this site, but why not give it a stab. I have a beefy 318 MOPAR dodge ram, 94 model. Love it and more so because I do not have to pass jack squat when it comes to emissions in this state (NC).

But here lately I have to admit I have been having the most annoying odd problem. Let me give a brief history. This truck has had very few problems, I like doing work on it because it is cavernous under the hood unlike the wifes camry-but thats another story.

So I replaced the in tank fuel pump & was getting an odd stutter whenever the tank got low, fixes that with the pump BINGO!! Then I got a check engine that remarked the EGR, ok, so I replaced that-viola it slammed down the road again.

1 week later it began to run really low idle & sometimes even shut down when I came off the highway at high RPM's. The odd part was if it happened to stall it was a nightmare to restart. But starting every morining was like kicking over a race car, I mean vooooooom!!!

Checked the fuel pressure thining maybe I pinched a line, NOPE!! Checked the idle sensor switch-NOPE. Recehcked the darn EGR-NOPE!! looked at the oxygen sensor right before the converter-cleaned it with chemtool-ROFL-NOPE not the problem.

Have a new distributor & wires plus racing 4 points, so its not the darn plugs...What the hell is it???????

It runs like a scalded dog down the highway, but acts retarded every time I have to come off a ramp or wait at a light.

now I did notice that the catalytic converter has a bad rattle, but surely it cant be blocking the exaust, the exaust looks & smells just rosy for a 94 dodge.

Can anyone recall a similar issue, this one stumps me & I am an average shade tree...
thanks...

Old 11-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i believe you have an asd relay like the 96+ rams. try swapping it out for another non-essential relay that is the same type like the horn and see what happens.

and you're lucky you have a pre-96 ram. my cars are 10 bucks and they don't check anything but the odometer to write down on the inspection slip. my truck is 35 bucks and they have to do a visual inspection of emission components and hook up the scanner while its idling for 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Rough runner on low RPM's.