2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear End (I think) whine

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 PM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear End (I think) whine

98 Quadcab 102K 5.9 2WD Automatic 91/4 Standard Rear End

I have been hearing a whine that seems to come from the rear part of the truck and is relartive to speed not RPM. Only hear the noise when moving forward and the faster I go the louder it is, but never deafening. I keep the rear end oil changed and recently changed it and have never found evidence of metal shavings or wear. Just put on new tires. Today changed the rear axle bearings. No help. I am suspect of the bearing at the front of the differential housing. After driving about five miles, I got under the truck and felt of the housing and it felt warm to the touch.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:18 PM
011500Ram
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy god, I was just about to post this identical question. I have the same noise that I believe is coming from the front bearing on the rear end. I had my rear end rebuilt about 15k miles ago and I don't believe that the outer bearing was changed. (Unless this is part of a standard rebuild?)

Regardless, I also have an intermittent leak that just started at the yoke that has sprayed the bottom of my gas tank, heat shield, and underside of my bed with gear oil. I topped it off last night and now it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore.

Any advice to me and the OP would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:18 PM
big.red.ram
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it could also be the tires whinning. did it do it before u installed the tires?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Me or OP? If me, I put brand new tires on 3 days ago.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:30 PM
big.red.ram
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was talkin to the OP but could be your prob too if it didnt do it before u put the tires on

Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM
011500Ram
Banned

It did. It's been doing it for about a year now.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its normal for the housing to be warm, even hot.

pinion bearing is about the most common noise maker. does it whine when accelerating and growl when decelerating. unfortunately replacing that bearing is not a diy. rebuild kit is about $100+ in parts and probably 250-300-400-500 in labor. what you can do though is replace the entire rear end, housing and all. look for one super cheap from a junkyard.

i'm assuming it started making this noise before you put on the new tires, and the new tires didn't change the noise.

if the noise doesn't bother you, it'll run forever as is. it'll gradually get louder.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hate to tell you guys this cause I had the deceleration whine and just got it back from the shop today ...cost me $850 to fix....and it was just a loose pinion bearing but they found my lsd/posi unit blew apart too...
Anyway whining under acceleration is more serious (usually gears themselves or carrier bearings and more likely to explode and leave you stranded.....
here's a better explanation.

http://www.4x4now.com/gt0699.htm

Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
its normal for the housing to be warm, even hot.

pinion bearing is about the most common noise maker. does it whine when accelerating and growl when decelerating. unfortunately replacing that bearing is not a diy. rebuild kit is about $100+ in parts and probably 250-300-400-500 in labor. what you can do though is replace the entire rear end, housing and all. look for one super cheap from a junkyard.

i'm assuming it started making this noise before you put on the new tires, and the new tires didn't change the noise.

if the noise doesn't bother you, it'll run forever as is. it'll gradually get louder.
pinion bearing usually only make noise on decceration and the junkyard will only be of help if they have stock gears or get real lucky....
I believe a Bubba'ed DIY you was to blame for mine failing in the first place.... and they dont always last long that way at all....I googled it when I first noticed my issue and found lots of threads where the rear axle just locked up almost causing bad accidents or just blew apart....
Not that I'm trying to start an arguement or anything...just saying.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-18-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 PM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whine I hear is consistent with MPH, i.e. as you accelerate or go faster the whine increases in pitch, and slightly in volume. Conversely, as you slow down, pitch and noise decelerate. I was hearing this prior to the tire change and was hoping it was a worn tire whine but the new tires haven't helped.

Quick Reply: Rear End (I think) whine