2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another oil pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM
21BFLNG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another oil pressure issue

So finnaly got the new used engine into the truck to replace the original that threw a rod. Topped off all the fluids, started the truck, rechecked the fluids.
Went for a drive around the block and everything seems fine, shifts smooth, runs smooth, but does have a knock that comes and goes randomly. But figured the truck was good to go. So I park it home and watch some football.
I go out to the store later and after the truck gets warmed up (temp around 190-200) the oil pressure dropped. I started having flashbacks of the first engine as this is what happened right before the engine went, so I pulled over and had the engine towed back home.
Went and purchased a machanical oil pressure gauge just to be 100% and indeed the pressure drops to 0psi at idle and stays around 25psi when accerelating but at a steady speed slowly starts to creep back down to 0.
This only happens when the truck is warmed up. When first cranking the truck after it is cold the pressure idles around 40psi and will climb to around 60psi when driving.
I'm going to pull the pan tomorrow to see if something is clogging the pick up tube because it seems that when the pump starts working harder (under accerelation) the oil pressure tries to climb but something might be preventing it.
I read on here that moparama had an issue with clearences causing low pressure. This "new" engine only has 86,xxx miles on it. Would that be something I need to be worried about? Is that somehting that can be fixed?
Could it just be a clogged pick-up or bad oil pump?
Any other ideas? I dont want to throw another rod because the engine isnt getting any oil.
Would it be safe to run the engine with the low of oil pressure?

Last edited by 21BFLNG; 11-22-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

NO NO NO it would not be safe to drive it with low oil pressure, especially if you say it drops to 0.

but i cant even count how many threads ive seen on this same problem. i dont know the answer but it sure as hell can be found using the search.

Quick Reply: Another oil pressure issue