2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"So dad, where the hell did I put the dash?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
I am one to buy stock/factory parts as well, but there obviously sure isn't anything special about the factory heater core, so why buy another one... especially at that price!

Anyway, have fun with the project! Nothing like some good quality father/son time!
I couldnt find an aftermarket core that was Copper and Brass like the original.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do know you guys didn't have to fully remove the dash like that to change the heater core and evap coil right? You can just unbolt it and slide the dash back.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I couldnt find an aftermarket core that was Copper and Brass like the original.

Yeah, true, but big woopie, the copper and brass apparently doesnt do much good for the stock unit. How long did yours make it? Mine went a 120k or so. I better go knock on wood though, my Auto Zone jobbie might puke out at 50k miles hahahaha!!!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Mine went 170K.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
halfamil
All Star

Mine has 448,000 must be fairly good heater core

Last edited by halfamil; 02-12-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

purpl, take that column out for sure. it'll only take about 10-15 minutes.

whats wrong with your evap case? when i did mine i just took the nuts off the engine side of the case and the clamp for the ac tank thing and pulled the case back until the tank thing hit the firewall and i had enough room to get the core out.

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
You do know you guys didn't have to fully remove the dash like that to change the heater core and evap coil right? You can just unbolt it and slide the dash back.
i want proof with pictures. i've heard of it being done this way but when i swapped my core i couldn't see that happening because the column wouldn't go back far enough and i believe the wires that go to the PDC were getting pulled on a little too much.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 11-24-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Sheriff420

i want proof with pictures. i've heard of it being done this way but when i swapped my core i couldn't see that happening because the column wouldn't go back far enough and i believe the wires that go to the PDC were getting pulled on a little too much.

I can vouch for this as well. I did not pull my dash to replace my heater core either. I did remove the passenger airbag for some extra working room, though. It was EXTREMELY tight, but it's doable, and much less work than removing the entire dash. I dont think I took pics (I will check), but you got my word.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

again, i want proof with pictures. because at the time i didn't see it happening.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Trey318
Captain

Honestly it's not much more work to pull the dash. A couple wiring harness and bolts. It is well worth it for the extra room to work in what is already a tight space. I can understand if there's only one person, but if you cant get a second person, I'd definitely go for pulling the dash.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:35 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
purpl, take that column out for sure. it'll only take about 10-15 minutes.

whats wrong with your evap case? when i did mine i just took the nuts off the engine side of the case and the clamp for the ac tank thing and pulled the case back until the tank thing hit the firewall and i had enough room to get the core out.

THere is nothing wrong with my Evap case. I just need the A/C guy to come out and de-charge the A/C system. Then I can remove it.

Quick Reply: "So dad, where the hell did I put the dash?"