2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lets see your intake!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get the big one... but ill look it up tomorrow on the DIY for the 14X3, cause i am going to sleep... unless anyone wants to be nice, and pull it up for me and post it here...

Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

This is what I have on my truck never had a problem with water yet and have been through some BIG puddles I hit one doing 45 and the water shot up 20-30 feet in the air, it was bad didnt see it till the last second.
Name:  P8290346edit.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  71.3 KB

Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14x3

Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
ok well.. like i told 95ram360, i have the box accually, ( sorry, lied to ya) but i dont have the peice that goes from the box over to the fender, ya know, i dont have that peice is the one that got broke from an old 46re landing on top of it...
You do know that you can get that part again as a replacement, right?

IMO, I lose Top end with all the other CAI kits I've used.

The only time you really need to worry about water is if you actually submerge the filter cone. Short amounts of water on the cone will do nothing more than ruin the filter, but you'll have minimal chance of getting any of it in the motor.

Besides, movies are what really has the hype going about intake kits. Fast and the Furious for example.

CAI's are not an HP cure all. It's a complimentary bolt on. You wont see a lot of gains unless everything else on your motor is higher flowing. I'm not saying it's a snake oil, but what I am saying is they aren't all what they are cracked up to be.

I'm not running a K&N drop in for the HP and TQ improvements. I'm using it because it's a one time filter, and it will pay for itself over time.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you could do like a friend of mine did on his old blazer.

make a homebrew cai with abs plastic and instead of running the pipe out to the passenger headlight, run it through the firewall into the truck. doing it like that will keep all the water out of the intake because it'll be inside with you.

my friend was telling be about how he was off road one time and he was trying to keep up with all the lifted v8s, and he did ok for the most part. he was climbing a hill at one point and didn't have enough motor to get up it so he had his passenger start shooting starting fluid into the intake tube that was poking into the glove box.
redneck nos ftw.

14x3 k&n is the way to go. when you get into mud or water you can get a sock type thing from k&n to slip over the filter to protect it.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing is for sure meanwhitemopar, until you figure out what you are going to do, I would most definitely suggest installing the stock air box/filter unit (even without the tube that goes to the fender). You are at a great risk of sucking dirt/dust into the intake without any type of filter. Thats just asking for trouble.

Oh, and did I miss it or something? No right-up on the new lift and axle swap? WTF!!!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

lol... no write up because my father did all the work while i was in iraq... so unless he writes it up. i cant help..lol

and yes, i am getting my dad to put the box on tonight.. i mean the truck is not being driven but maybe once a week until i get my truck donw in NC with me...

i was thinking of doing the through the wall, but that weakens the firewall, and i dont know if i will like hte whole sucking air sound to much.. ya know? or will that happen being i will have a filter on the end?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that was just an off the wall suggestion. it'd be good for a strictly mud truck but not hardly practical on a street truck that sees some mud and water. and yes, it'd be pretty loud in the cab.

a k&n 14x3 or CAI with one of their filter socks would be the way to go. the sock thing protects the filter for the most part.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:09 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

yea i think after i saw everyones.. i am going to run the 14X3 with a sock, but i like that CAI that redheadhunter has...

Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not the same Gen Ram as y'all but water has never been a problem for me. I do have to cross an overflow field below the dam to fish my pond on the farm. In wetter times, I've run 20" or so of water.

Now one problem I was having, was if up in Ga. around the farm or running a lot of dirt roads, I'd find my oil was a good bit dirtier after going to the CAI. I guess the compromise for getting more air in, is your gonna get more fine dust in too.
I took a suggestion from my local performance shop guru and picked up the pre-filter for the K&N. It helped considerably and K&N claims you only lose about 2% flow with it as opposed to running just the their filter without.

One nice thing is you can clean it by simply wiping it off with a rag, or if it's really bad, hit it with a vacuum...

Name:  101_0385.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  61.9 KB

Quick Reply: Lets see your intake!