2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thoughts on switching to LSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
"Thick" gear can be used in a carrier that is built for numerically smaller gearsets.

The D44 needs a new carrier for 3.92 and numerically larger gear sets in there standard size. You can buy a new carrier or the thick gear set. If you buy the 4.11 thick gear you won't need a new carrier on the D44.

IMHO, never use "generic" gear sets. Buy the yukons, they're a quality product. Spend a little now, or a lot later.

And above all else: use an installer that knows what the hell they are doing. Don't use 4wheelparts.
I bought the Yukon brand master install kit to have my 9.25 rear end rebuilt and the kit didnt even come with the right size bolts?.... I'm not saying the quality was poor, (the kit uses quality Timken bearings BTW) just poorly researched when put together I guess....(yes it was all sealed).
It does come with a nice yukon sticker for the rear window

BTW I have the factory lsd and from what many including the guy who rebuilt it a week ago when he fixed my gear whine (loose pinion bearing) told me they do wear out and lose their effectivness rather fast.....also their are two different styles and the older factory setup is twice the price to rebuild but looked beefier to me.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-27-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiejet
Thanks everyone for the "rear end" education

I really appreciate the education on the Powertrax unit. I would have lumped that into the LSD category based on what I knew about it. I thought a "locker" was that settup that requires air compressor etc. and you locked your axles with that, but when you were done, you could flip a switch and unlock them.

Not sure I want a Powertrax. If I understand you guys, Powertrax will drive both axles anytime torque is applied? That would require some thinking when you corner, I guess. What about tire wear?

I do the vast majority of my driving on city streets. It is the occasional foray out on dirt roads for an occasional hunting trip, the two/three times a year snowfall, loading Sea-doo on slick boat ramp, and trips to the landfill that I would like to have some traction. Sounds like I need a LSD like Auburn or True Trac.

Thanks again. I love learning about stuff I thought I knew something about, but really didn't.
lsd rear ends are also often referred to as a "posi" rear.....even though thats phrase was first coined by GM and their "positration" system....(their term for LSD)

Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no problems with tire wear in a powertrax. if conditions are dry and traction is good, it'll unlock. if conditions are slick, and there's little/no differentiation pressure, the inside tire will slip in a sharp turn. since it does this in slick conditions, there's no tire wear. but, it does sort of chatter and jump a little...

the air pressure activated locker you are referring to is called a "selectable locker". there are several methods used for selectable lockers, including
air pressure - ARB.
cable operated - Ox-locker.
electric operated - Toyota and others.

there's only one big problem - NOBODY makes a selectable locker for a chrysler 9.25. there are several available for the dana 60 found in the 2500.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on switching to LSD