2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Check Light - Yes another thread..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:40 PM
JasonB
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Check Light - Yes another thread..

Hi Folks,

I'm new here and not the very best at posting. I know this subject has been discussed all over the 'net but I would like to throw in my particular situation.

I have a '97 Dodge Ram, 5.9, 4wd, with about 80,000 miles on it. About five years ago at 40,000 miles on it I got my first engine check light. It turned out to be a P0441. The truck still ran fine.... no loss of power, performance, or gas mileage. I disconnected the battery cables which turned off the light.

About two years ago I got another P0441...... Again the truck ran fine. I reset the light. About four months ago... same thing. Light came on but truck still performed well. Then a few days ago it happened for the 4th time. So over the life of the truck the light has come on four times. Not once did I notice a lack of performance.

I really believe I've been negligent at times in not putting the gas cap on "tight." So from now on I will watch that. I've examined the cap and it "looks" fine but I may go to Napa or some place for a replacement cap.

Here's my question..... If the EVAP system is not working properly is it causing harm to my truck .... or is it just letting unwanted emissions into the atmosphere. On that note I definitely don't want to be a polluter (sp?). Here's my main concern....... Is my truck going to stop running because of the P0441?

Thanks in advance for your help........

Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

At face value, my answer would be no. If you suspect the gas cap, replace it. Here in New Jersey they actually pressure test the cap as part of the inspection. My cap initally failed, and looked to be brand new. It never threw a code or a CEL. But, there is much more to the evap system then just the cap. A haynes manual or the Service Manual download available on this fourm will give you much more information, on what and how to check.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:09 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by Twisted Metal
At face value, my answer would be no. If you suspect the gas cap, replace it. Here in New Jersey they actually pressure test the cap as part of the inspection. My cap initally failed, and looked to be brand new. It never threw a code or a CEL. But, there is much more to the evap system then just the cap. A haynes manual or the Service Manual download available on this fourm will give you much more information, on what and how to check.
I really suspect I'm not consistently tightening my cap several clicks... (shame on me)...... But caps are relatively cheap so I will replace it.

My biggest concern is my wife and I travel in some very remote places here in the West...... and I'd hate to walk 20-30 miles after my truck "stopped" because of a P0441.......

Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is no harm to the truck on p0441 code. it simply means that the pressures/vacuums are in the evap system are not as they should be. i currently have that code and cel also. i haven't replaced the gas cap yet, but i've oil the o-ring and piddled around with it some. i also checked, and wiggled, and squeezed all the vac lines around the evap system. (there's a lot of them).

it could be gas cap, vac line, or evap purge solenoid which is located on passenger side fender well.

if you did have a bad gasoline vapor leak, and you can smell it in an enclosed garage, then you DO have a FIRE DANGER, and need to be careful of that. if you can't smell anything, then you're ok.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 AM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
there is no harm to the truck on p0441 code. it simply means that the pressures/vacuums are in the evap system are not as they should be. i currently have that code and cel also. i haven't replaced the gas cap yet, but i've oil the o-ring and piddled around with it some. i also checked, and wiggled, and squeezed all the vac lines around the evap system. (there's a lot of them).

it could be gas cap, vac line, or evap purge solenoid which is located on passenger side fender well.

if you did have a bad gasoline vapor leak, and you can smell it in an enclosed garage, then you DO have a FIRE DANGER, and need to be careful of that. if you can't smell anything, then you're ok.
Thanks for your reply. No, I don't have any bad gas odors.

Just a side note.... The first three times I got the engine check light I went to Autozone.... Their scanner produced the P0441 code. They told me their scanner could not "reset" the light. The most recent time I got the light I went to a different place and they were not only able to determine the code, BUT could also reset the light, thus saving me the trouble of removing the negative battery cable. I'm not an expert on scanners but is this a new scanner features? Anyone??

Quick Reply: Engine Check Light - Yes another thread..