2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My new truck and pics of a few mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice truck!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM
GAgatortrucker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very clean very nice black rams are badass

Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

There is a DIY write up for changing over to a 14x3 RAC. If you can bend a piece of all thread, you can convert it over. Cherry Bombs are notorious for burning off the finish. I was told it was due to the lack of baffling inside that makes them hotter than other mufflers(and louder). Meaning, they are basically a hollow tube, with not place for the heat to dissipate to except right the case. Nice clean truck,and I thought my 01 was a find with 67k on the clock. And lastly....

Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 PM
jmhai
Veteran

Mine is a 96 and when I bought it in 2007 only had 32,000 on the OD. just hit the 51,000 mile marker this month.. Really nice truck u got there, wish mine was a sport...

Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 PM
KG505

Thanks for the replies. I've been lurking around here for a bit, lots of good info.

Originally Posted by silverbullet-dodgeram
nice find man how hard is it to change over to the round air filter
Its easy. I used an edelbrock 1221 air cleaner. Its pretty straight forward. The only thing you need to do is make an "s" bolt out of 1/4 inch threaded rod. I picked up a foot of treaded rod at lowes for a dollar. Heres a diagram for the S bolt:

I cut mine to about 5 inches long then made the bends with a vice and some vice grips.

I also picked up a universal edelbrock breather for the IAT on passenger side valve cover.

Search 14x3 here and at *********.com there are a lot of threads about it.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go and get an exhaust gas analyzer on that truck and make sure you aren't running too lean. That can cause high exhaust temperatures and engine damage if left uncorrected for too long.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I'd go and get an exhaust gas analyzer on that truck and make sure you aren't running too lean. That can cause high exhaust temperatures and engine damage if left uncorrected for too long.
Exactly. It's not the length of the muffler, or the muffler design, while I can see it being hotter than a longer one, it wouldn't be enough to cause that type of heat damage.

Pyro has had one on his truck for a loooong time, and I don't think his has the paint falling off of it. Hammer also just put the same exact muffler on his, so I'll ask him in a few weeks if his is discoloring.

If nothing else, hook a scanner up to it that can monitor sensors in real time and see if it's running lean.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:11 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking truck, gotta love a good deal

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
x2
If your blistering high heat paint that far back Id be checking for codes asap. Front o2, injectors or connectors/harness could be at fault.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

might want to see if the inside of the cat is still there also, the previous owner may have beat it out due to i clogging or for more power.

And in the pic it shows it just behind the cab under the box, which is the stock location

Old 11-30-2009, 12:54 AM
hirschy
Veteran

Nice looking truck.

Quick Reply: My new truck and pics of a few mods