2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whats with my steering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rafter40
thanks for the input guys. i just realized havent really checked all the steering components since i noticed the problem. but something else it does is when i turn all the way to one direction and drive it makes a "binding" sound similar to a telephone ring. it has done this since i got it and before the other problem (im not as worried about this but thought it might help).

the steering doesnt seem to have too much play, but then again i had a 95 f150 before and that had lots of play so im not sure what to compare it to (not a sports car)
-i had 285 75 16s before as well but cant remember it the problem existed before that or not. (they previous tires were very unevenly worn)
-im really dont know what all the different steering components are but i can look that up.
helms- you talked about the caster being out from hitting something... well i did hit a pole but at like 5mph before. you said a rod could be bent. would that be a side effect of bumper impact, or are you refering to direct impact in the rod?

lastly what is an IIRC? ... sorry for the long post
I was refurring to the steering stabilizer being bent. Its the thing that looks like a shock absorber bolted to the tierod.

The bigger tires can exacerbate an existing problem, the caster may have been out for a while but you didnt notice it until you bolted on the bigger ones, i suggest you just go to the alignment shop and see what they say.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM
moparama
Veteran

Were your tires cupped on the out tread?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lastly what is an IIRC?
Internet shorthand for If I Remember Correctly.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 AM
moparama
Veteran

The search feature is cool but i did a search on "steering wheel play" and im getting threads on overhead consule. whats up with that? I did find what i wanted but pain in the ****. And the thread headings are a joke. Like "need help" or just "help". Ok im done now just venting. LOL

Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moparama
And the thread headings are a joke. Like "need help" or just "help". Ok im done now just venting. LOL
I do what I can to fix those threads just so they will show up in a search, but some members complained about my efforts. Also, I find that if you put your search terms in quotes you get better results.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 PM
rafter40

just to clarify i didnt think i did before, but i deffinately have steering wheel play. if get an alignment (i know i need one anyway), but fix the problem after. am i most likely going to need another alignment after?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
bigsooner

I did the steering wheel quick fix, and it made a helluva difference...but now I noticed my front tires are wearing heavily on the outside edges...could the rock solid steering product help fix that (along with all the annoying popping on bumps)?? Or is this usually an alignment issue?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
rafter40

i was under my truck to day and im not sure what the separate components are but there is a rod, that connects with another rod, which connects to the steering dampener. i could move two rods freely about an inch to 2 inches forward and backward. it seemed odd but they appear to be connect to pivot of sorts. is this normal or should they be very stable?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I do what I can to fix those threads just so they will show up in a search, but some members complained about my efforts. Also, I find that if you put your search terms in quotes you get better results.
I've actually noticed you renaming the thread titles and for one appreciate it. also when you combine two of the same topic threads started at the same time...

Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i was under my truck to day and im not sure what the separate components are but there is a rod, that connects with another rod, which connects to the steering dampener. i could move two rods freely about an inch to 2 inches forward and backward. it seemed odd but they appear to be connect to pivot of sorts. is this normal or should they be very stable?
Did you check for play in the intermadiate shaft (shaft connecting steering wheel to gearbox) between the lower and upper halfs like I mentioned?? Cause I had the exact same issues as you..... fixed with metal shim jb weld and hose clamp temporarily but its holding well....

my stabilizer had leaked so bad it wasnt doing anything....replaced it and noticed no difference....of course I dont know if thats because of the 35"s I dont have play but it still sort of feels like my truck is all over the road compared to my other vehicles sometimes....wind makes it worse of course

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-08-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: whats with my steering?