2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant leaking ... I need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well this is no new truck and like I said I already spent all I had and then some trying to keep up with repairs....the mechanic said 1 bottle wouldnt hurt anything but not to add more than that because it could plug things up.....like anything else there reports of it working great and reports to the contrary..would ripping out the tranny and replacing the leaky plugs be a better idea?..sure if I had the money to blow so far this thing has cost me more than a dollar a mile in repairs for what I've put on the odometer since I bought it in august......lift kits and bigger tires and off roading isnt good for our trucks either if you think about it...doesnt stop most of us....
whats bars leaks?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-02-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bars leaks is just a brand of leak repair stuff. I've been told that you should only put some of the stop leak in that looks like little metal filings. What do you guys think about that?

OP, things that came to my mind were the water pump gasket, and the Bypass Hose. I tracked one that looked kind of like that, and it turned out to be the bypass hose. Could be the thermostat housing too I guess..

Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

well the brand of stuff I used was actually "stop leak" came in a small tube and the guy at the counter recommended it over the rest even though it was the cheapest there so...

Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first clean it up and try to get a good handle on the leak. make sure its coolant and make sure its reasonable small.

then, yes, i'd try some stop leak.... it might work. li agree with your mechanic - one can won't hurt anything.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

well two days later the radiator is still full for once so the stop leak worked... Thank god.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first one looks more like oil and is a prime location for a rear main seal leak. The second one in the front looks like the freeze plug.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Rammanator

What's the issue with bars stop leak? I just used it as the front corner of my rad had a very small leak. It worked straight away.

Last edited by Rammanator; 12-06-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Rammanator
What's the issue with bars stop leak? I just used it as the front corner of my rad had a very small leak. It worked straight away.
I thinks it can plug stuff up and prevent proper flow but I would think that could only really happen if large amounts were used myself...

Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Rammanator

Yep I could see that, but also if you flush just the water pump side back in the motor without flushing the rad all would be good : ) If I had more time I would remove the radiator and fix it with Q-bond.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking ... I need help