2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So I got to spend some more quality time working on my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:49 PM
011500Ram
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right... However I only addressed what you posted, not the OP's post. Pre-maturely rotating tires will not hurt anything. Except maybe your back.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:47 PM
PlrBrr

i changed mine out for the 1st time at 134000 just because its all highway miles the highway is from Anchorage to Kenai at 170 miles one way so i dont use brakes that much at all

Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

he has mud tires (like mine) and they are usually made of a softer rubber that has a tendency to wear uneven very easily... combine that with the tendency of larger tires tending to wear out the front end and wheel bearings on these (and most other) trucks and I'd say why not...it makes sheduling it a lot easier to do it all in one shot with and oil change...
that reminds me my work van is overdue for an oil change....

Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by PlrBrr
i changed mine out for the 1st time at 134000 just because its all highway miles the highway is from Anchorage to Kenai at 170 miles one way so i dont use brakes that much at all
!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ahhhhh!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Almost every tire manufacturer recommends rotating every 5000 miles. If you're doing it sooner because of tire wear issues then you are probably ignoring some other problem that is the cause, like worn suspension components or misalignment or even frame damage or a bent axle. Rotating the tires so frequently is just masking the problem. Something else is going on to cause the tires to wear so prematurely.
Well, to be honest I'm probably over doing it when it comes to how often I rotate them. I just read that some people rotate them every 3k miles as well as having a shop tell me that so I thought I'd try it. Makes it kind of simple to do it at the same interval as an oil change that way I don't have to worry about it. Anyway, I tried 3k out and it seemed to make the tires last a lot longer so I just stuck with it. I could probably go longer but why when it's easy to remember to do with the oil change and seems to work?

I don't have a bent frame or axle or anything like that. My alignment has always been good every time I've had it checked unless I've just had something changed that would affect it. I did for the first set of tires have worn out shocks but after the first set of BFG's I've had I've fixed that. The last two sets I've had good shocks as well as the rest being good.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many sets of tires have you gone through on that truck?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:43 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my 3rd set now since I've had it. All have been BFG MT's. The first set was on the truck when I got it but almost brand new. I had bad shocks at the time also and hardly ever rotated them. Maybe once or maybe twice in the time I had them. I think I got about 19-20k out of them before they started getting worn pretty well. I don't mean flat out bald but just worn uneven and past the wear marks in spots. I replaced them and this next set I don't think I ever rotated either. If I did it was maybe once. I got about the same 19k or so out of them. The front two were really unevenly worn. I had replaced the shocks this time just didn't rotate them. They were getting low but not worn past the wear marks. They just got to where they were really loud and kind of rode a little rough so I replaced them. The back 2 still had quite a bit of tread left. This next set I put on and a month or two after getting them a friend drove the truck down a gravel driveway in the mountains and somehow a rock went through the sidewall. Or something did we assume it was a rock. I used one of the rear tires from the previous set to replace it. It's worn a little more than the other 3 but it's still got some life left in it. The other 3 still have a lot of tread left. They have 37k miles on them now with me rotating them every 3k miles and they have a lot and by a lot I mean probably half tread or so easily left. No where near the wear marks and while not perfectly worn pretty evenly on most tires. Pretty good for mud tires.

So after this I've found the key is to rotate them often and since 3k miles works and is the same time I change the oil I've just stuck with that. I've never tried 5k miles intervals and it would be odd since I don't do any other work at 5k mile intervals.

Quick Reply: So I got to spend some more quality time working on my truck.