2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

please help. my 1500 ram will start but won't go anywhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM
charbel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help. my 1500 ram will start but won't go anywhere

please you guys i am asking for help. it is my daily drive that i pull cars with and i was hoping to do some snow plow this winter to make some money, trying to fix it before it start snowing. now i am on the road using my laptop. i can get to autozone walking for 2 miles if i know what i need to buy for it.

it start last night. right after i filled it gas . i was driving home and then it felt like i lost power. it was still driving. just not as strong. i stoped and bought fuel injector cleaning and put it in it. after couple of miles it ran good. got home and parked it.

today i was driving and it did it again, this time it is worste then last night. i kept driving trying to get to work and nothing.. i heard a hose sounded like it snaped and i can hear it

it was the hose that connect to the fuel regulator thing, it is like on the firewall side of the engine.

i walked and got one from autozone. the hole thing, $70 2 bolt 10 mm and i replaced it. nothing....

still start and idle . when i hit the gas it will die.
if anyone can help that will be nice. so i don't have to pay to tow it.

thanks..

Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 PM
charbel

i forgot to say. it is 1995 with 130,000 miles on it. i have been having problem with it since i bought it. :-(

if anyone feel like texting or talking. 586/2589454 that is my #

Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a clogged catalytic converter will limit rpms quite a bit but you mentioned a hose snapping and a fuel regulator thing, it seems like a weak fuel pump to me. get a fuel pressure tester (free if you geat a loan a tool from autozone) and test the pressure at the fuel rail.

do you have a picture of the hose that snapped? or maybe a better description.

and i haven't seen a number like that before, where are you from?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
charbel

ye, sorry for the heavy accent and all the mistakes. i am lebanease christian. i live in michigan

i wish i can find someone to work on it cheap.

i thought it will be bad cathilac , but last night it ran good after i had the problem.

today. it don't want to run at all.

the hose snap was in the back area of the engine. that piece was melted. i cant find a picture to show what piece i replaced.

i towed it with my bmw to my shop and it is sitting there. tomorrow i will take some picture and a video on what is happening.

any help ill be nice.

sheriff420. thanks for the reply. i hope you will be able to help me tomorrow. thanks.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 PM
charbel

here is the picture of my truck

Name:  bmwpics2071.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  95.6 KB

the link is just my projects. ye i know. too many. i never worked on this truck before. so it is driving me crasy.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/charboula/

Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM
charbel
Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
charbel

that is the part i changed yesterday. the truck still running very poor.
i really don't think it is the cat.
going to check the fuel pressure on it now. i hope that will solve my problem.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
98 Ram "Hybrid"

Sounds like catalytic converter. Bet that hose got too hot from the exhaust not cooling efficiently. I saw you put you're hand in front of the tail pipe. Was there hardly any flow? Usually you will note a restricted air flow and the air that does make it through will be ridiculously hot.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:02 PM
charbel

ye that hose was blowing really hot air. i have mentioned before that a hose snap, that was the one..

k i guess i can take the bolts of the exaust off and try to see if that will solve my problem.

i can feel the exaust pushing air , not sure if it is suppose to push more or not.

one more thing, if it was cold. like when i first start the truck, i was able to drive it around the block for one minute and it died again..

thanks for the reply. i hope this thread will help other members in the future to fix there ram too

Old 12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, i bet its your cat, gettin clogged and unclogged.....you pulled that with that bmw?!? wow

sounds like the engine is runnin good, just being held back, take a hammer and hit the cat and see if you can hear anything or get under it and have someone rev it up and down and see if you can hear

Last edited by dakotas ram; 12-03-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: please help. my 1500 ram will start but won't go anywhere