2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I know when my thermostat is going

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I know when my thermostat is going

Yesturday on my way to work I looked down at my gauges and my temp was at about 230 about 3/4 of the way up the gauge. So I kept watching and it just sat there for a minute and went back to 200 and stayed there. It also did the same thing on the way home last night. Just want to know if this is normal or is this the start of my thermostat going. My drive is about 10 miles so I dont know if it would keep doing this if I drove farther. I got a 5.9l and the only mod is I cut the muffler out and straight piped it.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's floating around when fresh air isn't being forced in, then I would come closer to thinking your fan clutch is going out. That's probably the case anyways.

Usuallywhen a thermostat fails, there is no maybe it will maybe it wont. They just crash and all hell breaks loose if you don't watch the gauges. Cheaper ones will snap closed when they fail and "fail safe" brand claims to have a snap ring that will pop them back open when they fail.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rwilhelms
Yesturday on my way to work I looked down at my gauges and my temp was at about 230 about 3/4 of the way up the gauge. So I kept watching and it just sat there for a minute and went back to 200 and stayed there. It also did the same thing on the way home last night. Just want to know if this is normal or is this the start of my thermostat going. My drive is about 10 miles so I dont know if it would keep doing this if I drove farther. I got a 5.9l and the only mod is I cut the muffler out and straight piped it.
The 180 thermostat I had did the same thing after 2 or 3 years.
New thermostat fixed it.
I figured it was trying to stick shut.
Evidently it was.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Alright thanks im gonna change the thermostat this weekend and hope that does the trick if not its more money into the truck. I love this truck but so far I've had so many stupid little problems with it. Oil leak thats getting fixed on friday. Eventually the axle seal, It needs new plugs, I havent even checked the plenum but its a dodge so im guessing im gonna have to fix that. So I hope that the thermostat fixes it. What does the 180 degree thermostat do compaired to the stock 195. I've herd mixed reviews about them

Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my temp actually got to 200ish today before the thermostat opened.
it normally never goes over 160-170 (even in oklahoma in 110º heat) but with a new thermostat and the cap off it actually climbed up to temp for the first time in a couple years.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

. What does the 180 degree thermostat do compaired to the stock 195. I've herd mixed reviews about them
It opens 15* earlier. Never had a mixed review. But in the winter go with a 195. I usually swap mine out every fall and spring. In the spring I put a new 180 in, then in the fall I put a new 195 in.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your gonna change your stat, do yourself a favor and grind off the tab on the stat housing that says "front". It will save you a headache and a half the next time you gotta do this. Also, I might get crap for this but who cares, use a failsafe stat. They lock open if you start to over heat so you can finish your trip instead of being stuck on the side of the road. My sisters stat failed in the closed position and she was 150 miles from home. Needless to say, she had to get towed. Oh, and I also own stock in the company!!! JK

Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
97black_ram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing wrong with it. I just replaced my t-stat a month ago and it always goes to about 220 then drops to 200 as it warms up each morning and after work on the drive home. Also going with a 180* t-stat wont give you near as much heat in the winter months.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 PM
halfamil
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say stay with the stock one in Wisconsin.My heater doesn't work well at extreme cold with the 180* stat.I'm glad it's fairly mild in the winter here.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Yeah my aunt and ucle live in SC and they said if it gets down to 30 in the winter there that freezing cold to them. Once you get to minus 30 thats when I really need the heat

Quick Reply: How do I know when my thermostat is going