2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another "hard to shift out of 4L" Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 PM
JasonB
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "hard to shift out of 4L" Thread...

Hi Guys.......

Recently I took my 1997 Dodge Ram (5.9 L, Auto Transmission) out on a few relatively easy jeep roads. I easily shifted from 2H to 4H and back numerous times on the fly with no problems whatsoever.

One part of the jeep road required 4L. I know I’m supposed to be able to shift the transfer case while moving at a low speed (2-3 mph) but I’ve never done this. I always stop my truck, put the automatic transmission in neutral then move the transfer lever down to 4L.
Moving the lever took a very hard pull, but it worked just fine and I did some minor rock crawling in 4L.

Once I cleared the tough spot in the road I tried to put the truck back into 4H. I stopped, put the transmission in neutral, but the transfer lever wouldn’t budge. I tried several times and finally using much more force than I wanted to use got the level back to 4H.

So I’m wondering just how the rest of you (who drive off-road) deal with this situation? I've heard of some people who experience this actually turning the engine off, shift the transfer lever, then restart the truck. (I've never tried this) Any tips would be appreciated……

Thanks
Jason

Old 12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine requires a pretty hard throw to shift in/out of 4L. I always come to either a full stop or a 1mph roll, always shift transmission to Neutral, and then yank the hell out of it. Usually it will shift all the way through t-case neutral to wherever i'm headed. occasionally mine will get hung in t-case neutral. if it does, then its going to grind if i push on it anymore. so i turn the engine off, and it generally makes the rest of the shift easily.

i read somewhere that the 4L shift is difficult due to no synchronizers.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:28 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
mine requires a pretty hard throw to shift in/out of 4L. I always come to either a full stop or a 1mph roll, always shift transmission to Neutral, and then yank the hell out of it. Usually it will shift all the way through t-case neutral to wherever i'm headed. occasionally mine will get hung in t-case neutral. if it does, then its going to grind if i push on it anymore. so i turn the engine off, and it generally makes the rest of the shift easily.

i read somewhere that the 4L shift is difficult due to no synchronizers.
Thanks for the reply........ When you do have to turn the engine off, is the pull or push on the tranfer lever easy...... that is little or no resistance??.....

Old 12-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just kill the motor and shift out of 4L. No grinding and a lot smoother.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
I just kill the motor and shift out of 4L. No grinding and a lot smoother.
Thanks Laramie1997..... I presume you shift INTO 4L with the engine running, right? Second question..... do you kill the engine everytime you shift OUT OF 4L...... or just after you've had a difficult time getting out with the truck running?

Anyway, I've got to try shutting the engine down, just to see how it works for me......

Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every time I shift into 4L, the engine is running. When I shift out, the engine is off. If I try to go out of 4L with the engine running, it grinds every time.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Every time I shift into 4L, the engine is running. When I shift out, the engine is off. If I try to go out of 4L with the engine running, it grinds every time.
I've done a lot of four wheelin'...... but mostly in my jeep wrangler with manual transmission...... no problem with 4L....... in or out... Also, I had a jeep cherokee with auto transmission.... like the wrangler I had zero problems with 4L.

My Dodge Ram is the only pickup I've every owned...... and I love it... except of the 4L situation we are discussing..... Do other pickup trucks (Chevy, Fords, etc) had the same problems with 4L as the Rams?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

glad i looked at this thread...when i shift from 4L i have a minor grind...good to know i can shut it off and shift it...

Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonB
Thanks for the reply........ When you do have to turn the engine off, is the pull or push on the tranfer lever easy...... that is little or no resistance??.....
with the engine off, the throw is very easy. it probably depends on whether there is any tension on the drive line.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

I was having the same problem. Glad to know it's not just my truck.

Quick Reply: Another "hard to shift out of 4L" Thread...