2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram, No bus, wont run HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
completelyscrewed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 01 Ram, No bus, wont run HELP!

2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Problem - I have been driving this truck for several months. One day i got in it and it turned over, but never ran. My step dad thought i didnt have enough gas in it and i swore to him i did, he put more gas in it; still nothing. We couldnt hear the fuel pump come on at all, so he though to himself, FUEL PUMP! Im helping him look at fuses and check the fuel pump relays and i get in the truck to try and start it again and i notice on the odometer its showing 'no bus' . He inturn orders a fuel pump and replaces it. Not to mention the fuel guage has always been a little screwed up, ive noticed that when tank is full it shows empty (not all the time, just occasionally). After replacing the fuel pump, it started up and ran for about 10 minutes then died. It wouldnt start again until we cleared the codes (disconnected the battery for several minutes). We are stumped! We googled a few things and read about checking all the wires; under the emergency brake pedel, at the pcm, something about ground wires. We are so confused. We bought the book and even think it may have something to do with the Automatic shutdown relay but dont even know where that is located. I have even been told by someone else that it could be a bus fuse? I asked what it done and they said it regulated fuel pressure? I dont know!!
---------------------------------------------
No Bus Code
Wont Run
Fuel Pump is getting Power
Checked Fuses (under hood and inside panel)
Replaced Fuel Pump/Filter
Checked all Wires (to our knowledge)

Please someone help me im tired of driving my moms grandma car!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Dont quote me, but could this be a CPS problem?

Old 12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
skydivingme

Have the computer checked. I had the same code come up on my 99 dodge ram 1500 odometer and the computer was bad.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do a search on here and google for NO BUS.
sometimes its a loose or broken ground wire.
sometimes its a single sensor like Crank Position or Cam Position. some threads say to disconnect all sensors and see if NOBUS goes away, then add them back one at a time to see which one triggers it.
sometimes its a toasted PCM.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
completelyscrewed

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
do a search on here and google for NO BUS.
sometimes its a loose or broken ground wire.
sometimes its a single sensor like Crank Position or Cam Position. some threads say to disconnect all sensors and see if NOBUS goes away, then add them back one at a time to see which one triggers it.
sometimes its a toasted PCM.

Where would all these sensors be located?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the nobus and took it to a dealer they messed around with the cluster and it went away. They told me it was either the cluster or the pcm going bad. I would assume beings your having running issues its most likely gonna be your pcm. It could be a sensor but personally I'm leaning towards the pcm

Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

crank position sensor is on the top/back of the block, passenger side, in the top of the bell housing. cam position sensor is inside the distributor cap, under the rotor. throttle position is on the drivers side of the throttle body.