2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E3 plug question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So can anyone honestly say E3'2 live up to the fuel mileage claims? Taking a cross country trip in my Ram next week and need all the fuel miles I can get. I have read mixed reviews online from they work great to people who say they have engine misfires in a few thousand miles. I did a plug change 6 months ago but would be willing to buy a set of these to squeeze out another mile to the gallon. But the last thing I need is plug failure on a 4k mile round trip ride.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:54 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt that changing out plugs that are still good to new ones would see little (if any) change in MPG. Now if changing worn out plugs, yes.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I doubt that changing out plugs that are still good to new ones would see little (if any) change in MPG. Now if changing worn out plugs, yes.
I only have about 6k on them. i have seen the claims by the manufacturer of something like up to 10-12% if I remember correctly. I know the one tv show tested and claimed they got 8%. If it would work it might be worth it but like I said reviews range from one end of the spectrum to the other. Not sure it would be worth the risk of a plug failure that some have reported.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:57 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by pavement_hater
I only have about 6k on them. i have seen the claims by the manufacturer of something like up to 10-12% if I remember correctly. I know the one tv show tested and claimed they got 8%. If it would work it might be worth it but like I said reviews range from one end of the spectrum to the other. Not sure it would be worth the risk of a plug failure that some have reported.
Spark plugs that cost $64 for a set should last a lifetime. Not worth it IMHO.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 AM
1fast2liter
Captain

exactly how do you know.. the spark takes the path or least rezistance/ weather 1 electrode or 4 it will only spark to one. and the spark will be the same. the only way to trully get a stronger spark is to go to better coils caps rotors and ignition box

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Spark plugs that cost $64 for a set should last a lifetime. Not worth it IMHO.

Either that, or should include one free hooker. I swear, you guys need to quit believing this crap espoused on TV. Just because it is claimed that mileage will increase 12% doesn't make it true. Hell, if you want to believe myths, then dump some acetone in your tank.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

The only thing that has ran better on E3s for me was a 6HP Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine. ANd I could gap that plug.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1fast2liter
exactly how do you know.. the spark takes the path or least rezistance/ weather 1 electrode or 4 it will only spark to one. and the spark will be the same. the only way to trully get a stronger spark is to go to better coils caps rotors and ignition box
Actually if you look at the e3 it really 1 electrode. It has three, but they are all connected at the top. I've actually bought an e3 spark plug a messed with it a bit to see what it does. It doesn't spark to just one electrode, instead it sparks to the whole electrode.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:33 PM
mikey0469
Veteran

yeah....i have the e3's. im not impressed with them at all

Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all honesty, I like my plugs. They work good in my truck and I FEEL the difference. If that's what you prefer, go for it. I don't see the need for people to knock 'em so much. Especially if they haven't used them. I bought them out of curiosity. NOT because the TV told me to.

Quick Reply: E3 plug question