2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 ball joint help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 PM
omnirider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
I would run the situation your having by the new owner again and have him suggest what he would do. That's just me though.
I found an instruction pdf from the manufacturer of the spindle kit

http://www.airbagit.com/v/techzone/spindles.pdf

Shows how everything (including the Chevy ball joint) is needed. Also is showing a 3/8" steel gusset needs to be welded under the ball joint. Going to email the website for exact instructions (if the ball joint itself needs to be welded) and get this beast back on the road.

Note to self...never underestimate what someone has done to a truck before you get it.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by omnirider
I found some receipts that the previous owner kept....it was a K6117, which fits Chevy trucks. I talked to the previous owner, who had put a lowering kit on it back in the day, (from AIM?) with a new spindle, and did not get the lower control arms. He modified them and it was working. Of course I went to get the K6117 parts, which do the trick but the new ones are not press fit in the lower control arms....no snug fit, just slide in. Replacing the control arms wouldn't do any good, since they are modified..Have had suggestions from machining the hole in the spindle to welding in the ball joints. Any ideas?
lol, i knew something was up, but never guessed a lowering kit was involved.

so, is it still lowered ? and do you want to leave it lowered, or would this be a good time to get stock parts from a junkyard and put it back to the original...

what wallered out, the spindle or the control arm ? is the spindle cast iron and the control arm steel ?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 AM
omnirider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
lol, i knew something was up, but never guessed a lowering kit was involved.

so, is it still lowered ? and do you want to leave it lowered, or would this be a good time to get stock parts from a junkyard and put it back to the original...

what wallered out, the spindle or the control arm ? is the spindle cast iron and the control arm steel ?
Yeah, didn't find out till yesterday. As long as I can keep it safe and on the road, the lowering deal doesn't bother me (doesn't look lowered that much).

From what the pdf I found on the lowering kit, with the Chevy ball joints going in opposite as the Dodge joints would go in, and the recommended 3/8" steel gusset that is supposed to be welded in under the ball joint, it looks like they were not going to be tight to start with. Gonna call one of the old time alignment/front end shops this morning and email the manufacturer of the spindle kit to make sure. Been beating my head against the wall (and wheeling out cash) to play detective and get this far.

Quick Reply: 1995 ball joint help!