2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I am smelling gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am smelling gasoline

It is odd, at start up I have a strong gas odor in the cabin. It seems to go away as I drive. I can smell gas in the engine compartment which I assume the cabin air is being drawn in from there. I can't see any leaks. I did have to replace the hose that runs from on fuel rail to the other recently, but that is not leaking. Everything seems tight, but the gas has to be coming form somewhere. I am kind of afraid to drive it until I can locate and fix the source.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

probably a fuel injector o ring. did you take the fuel rails off when you replaced that cross over line?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok. this is the kind of thread that is often followed by - my truck caught on fire...

so do 2 things -
don't park in an enclosed space, such as a garage or basement, period. many of these have gas furnace or hot water heater or even an elec light switch spark = boom.

fix this asap.
it could be injector o-rings.
could be the quick connect at the rail.
could be a soft hose
could be a hard line
could be the top of the tank fittings.
could be a vac line or component in the evap system.

check your high pressure lines from/to the tank/injectors first. those are the one's that are going to burn the house down. the evap system is less dangerous.

i don't know if this exists or not, but if you could put air pressure on the system, you might could trace the whistling sound. otherwise i'm thinking the truck has to be running to maintain its 49 psi

Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 PM
skydivingme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my o-rings were leaking I smelled heavy gas fumes. I also had heavy gas fumes when I had an injector that was stuck open, but there would be other problems going along with that.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM
moparama
Veteran

how did you replace that line between injector rail?Thought that was a speacial hose.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
sungod
Veteran

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
ok. this is the kind of thread that is often followed by - my truck caught on fire...

so do 2 things -
don't park in an enclosed space, such as a garage or basement, period. many of these have gas furnace or hot water heater or even an elec light switch spark = boom.

fix this asap.
it could be injector o-rings.
could be the quick connect at the rail.
could be a soft hose
could be a hard line
could be the top of the tank fittings.
could be a vac line or component in the evap system.

check your high pressure lines from/to the tank/injectors first. those are the one's that are going to burn the house down. the evap system is less dangerous.

i don't know if this exists or not, but if you could put air pressure on the system, you might could trace the whistling sound. otherwise i'm thinking the truck has to be running to maintain its 49 psi
I have let it sit for a couple of days so I plan on checking it tomorrow to see if there is still pressure in the system. I have been thinking it might be an o-ring on an injector. I have looked at the other lines as best I could and haven't seen any signs of a leak. If would be nice if I could find a flourescent dye to add to the fuel like there is for A/C leaks that would make it easier.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 PM
sungod
Veteran

Originally Posted by moparama
how did you replace that line between injector rail?Thought that was a speacial hose.
I asked several different sources including dodge parts and service depts. Most just scratched their heads and said they didn't know. There is no part in the dodge parts catalog for that hose. A dodge tech said that it is just regular fuel line so that is what I replace it with. The OE set up doesn't use hose clamps, but has some very serous barbs on the rails to keep the hose on. I had to split the old hose to get it off.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you don't have clamps on that cross over hose, you should. it likely ? had a crimp of some kind on it from the factory. you should have a good solid hose clamp on it. that line would have 49 psi of fuel pressure on it....

by the way, when the ignition is turned on, the fuel pump comes on, and you'll have high pressure. if the truck cranks and runs (as determined by sensors and pcm), then the fuel pump stays on. if the truck dies, then the pcm sends a signal to ASD to shutdown the fuel pump to prevent fire. assuming no leaks, pressure remains on the system. pressure can be relieved at any time by pressing down on the schrader valve. a little fuel will squirt out when you do, so don't be smoking.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 12-10-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 PM
moparama
Veteran

My oem hose doesnt have clamps on it. Its a rubber hose over almost like a plastic line that appears to be shrunk onto the rails fuggin wierd

Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 PM
skydivingme

My fuel line that runs from rail to rail has no clamps on it either. It looks the same as above, on some plastic peices that are sunk into the rails.

Quick Reply: I am smelling gasoline