2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Am I "Pinging" or what...I dunno

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is the sound loud enough for a camera to pick up without being masked by wind or exhaust noises? a video of that noise would help.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
is the sound loud enough for a camera to pick up without being masked by wind or exhaust noises? a video of that noise would help.
The PCV valve was an awesome suggestion to the person who posted that. But I checked mine tonight (removing it and driving) and it still did it.

As far as the sound clips... I know im not the OP, but ill give it a shot as it can only help the both of us. I'll go steal my brother camera and report back later on. The only time you might be able to hear it is after it kicks into overdrive because that is when the sound is loudest, and the truck is at its quietest. I'll see what I can do.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Well my brothers camera won't pick it up... I mean it picks up a sound, but nothing that I think would be helpful imho. But non the less here are the vids anyway. First vid is a combination of above the dash, and below the dash. Below the dash you can hear it better, but you can still hear it above the dash. I let off the pedal a time or two in the video (you'll hear the clank for one of them at least) There are a few other wierd sounds too haha... like three taps (im guessing keys) and one where i hit the camera against the dash (shh don't tell my brother). I think it is picking up the pulsing of the exhaust instead of the ticking but idk. Whenever you hear the crackle, the truck is chuggin and the sound is ticking.

Other notes... The tick seems to stay throughout for the most part. It isn't like it will ping down low rpm and then stop, the rattle is consistant.

Edit, actually around 1:20 with the sound cranked up i can kind of hear it. Also I did kick it down at the end of the video... but i would like to note that even when I really kick it down there is no ping on the upper rpm levels. Thats why I have been dismissing it this whole time as not being ping. My buddy's 01 2500 showed me the definition of ping so I know what it sounds like.

http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=101_1031.flv

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 12-16-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

at 1:20 it sounds like a mix between the injectors and the air intake to me. i dunno. maybe i should get a video of mine because you can hear the injectors really good on mine. my sisters 360 has loud injectors too, i could get a video of hers when she gets here next week also.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Nhxj4x4

I'll try to get a video tomorrow as well guys. I like mine might be loud enough to pick up.

Oh, and the plugs I put in are the OEM Champions. Also on the Octane front I had about a 1/4 tank left yesterday and dumped a whole thing of octane boost in, the noise remained the same.

Quick Reply: Am I "Pinging" or what...I dunno