2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 PM
joelbissonnette
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

during guage test, none of the instruments moved, only seat belt light illuminated.

crank sensor is in the back right? I will test that tomorrow to see if the come back on, if I can reach it, I heard it is a bxxxh to get to.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

back side of the block, passenger side, in the top of the bell housing.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
joelbissonnette

changed cps but no luck. anybody got any ideas?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:09 PM
joelbissonnette

problem solved! after many hours of testing here is what happened. truck got painted in dec, went to go pick up and truck won't start. had it towed to my house. tried all the usual simple things and nothing as you can see from this thread. got schematics of the pcm and started investigating. I suspected the pcm because all of my other tests failed to correct issue. Once i started to figure out how the pcm operates, i was able to determine that there was voltage going into the pcm but not out. I knew this because there was no primary and secondary voltage going to sensors (pin 17 i believe) which was strange, because in order to determine if any of the sensors are bad it must have voltage to them. Also, my gauges were not working with the key in the on position, but the cluster test worked. also the cel did not come on in on position.

However, i was still reluctant to buy pcm because they rarely go and are usually the last resort. I finally broke down and sent my pcm to ace for the rebuild. got it bacjk today and started right up! The best part of this story is I only spent $40 for new carank position sensor (early fix) and the $125 for the pcm. I hope this helps anybody because i was without my truck for a while and was dieing to use it with the new paint job and all!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:44 PM
USAF90
Professional

where did u find the schematics of the pcm.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 PM
xray99
Banned

Cool of you to update, too many leave threads hanging with no solution.

PCM issues can be baffling for the average DIY'er, people by nature want to believe its anything else but that.
I had a voltage issue [batt wasn't charging] and went through just about everything until I finally swapped the PCM, and it worked like a charm.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:54 PM
USAF90
Professional

ya im thinking thats what im gonna be doin here shortly. no power to coil. on my last resort ya know. im gonna do exactly what he did. send my pcm to ACE

Old 02-21-2010, 12:41 AM
xray99
Banned

Got mine from ACE too, good service.
I bought a new rebuilt one and sent my old one back for the lifetime warranty, worth the extra $25 in my view, and you get it quicker.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:15 PM
USAF90
Professional

ya im bouncing between the two. dunno if to rebuild mine or buy a rebuilt one. im gonna call them an see what they say

Quick Reply: won't start