2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 kaboom

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so I just wanna make sure i get this right but your saying the shift fork will keep them alligned. Or is it possible that me not having the cad in is what is making it apear as though they are out of allignment, if this is the case im not sure whats causing this problem because I know that the cad, transfer case, differential and the vacuum system work. I'm just running out of time to get this working and the truck is getting on my nerves. Honestly its my favorite vehicle I've owned but this is getting old quick.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm pretty sure that the shift fork is what keeps them lined up, along with the bevel on the collar on the intermediate shaft.

i think your problem is more than likely a vac issue. if you don't have enough pressure or if the vac motor on the cad unit isn't working right then the shift fork wouldn't keep it out of 4x4 completely when you're in 4x2 and it would have trouble or a delay when you put it in 4x4. have you tested the vac pressure on those lines since you fixed them?

Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

Yeah 20lbs. And its really not a delay when it goes into 4x4 it just won't 90% of the time, although it hasn"t moved in a while as its all torn apart(differential).

Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

Okay so my dad got someone from a very reputable shop to come out and look at my truck for the 4x4 and he showed me that there is supposed to be an allignment pin between the two shafts, after doing more cleaning mine is broke. Of course you can't just buy the pin so I am just going to leave the shafts locked together just need to figure out a way to be able to shift transfer case without unlocking the hubs. So I got one problem fixed now I just need to start tearing into the intake and find my leak....

Quick Reply: 4x4 kaboom