2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering difficult to steer,, sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 AM
kb9ldk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering difficult to steer,, sometimes

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 (solid axle), with snow plow. The power steering high pressure hose had burst, so replaced the hose. I noticed that at a stop, very dificult to turn.. so I put a pump on.. same problem. So yes I put another pump on. Same problem. Are rebuilt autozone pumps junk,, or do I have a bad steering gear. It drives fine down the road and rolling. Its just when the truck is stopped. It does this with or without the plow.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your steering stabilizer shock might be bent and binding up, happened to mine after muddin one day and went to make a right turn and it went straight. It would steer to the left fine, but I couldn't pull hard enough on the wheel to get it to turn right until I removed the shimmy shock.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
W8 a minute
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine seems to have a similar issue. When I first start it up and reverse out of a parking spot the power steering works fine. But when I stop, put it in drive, and try to turn the wheels to move forward the power steering seems to fail almost completely. The rest of the day it seems to work fine.

Quick Reply: Power Steering difficult to steer,, sometimes