2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram, P1762 Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 AM
cvalcik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram, P1762 Tranny problem

I've got a 2001 Ram 1500 Sport, 108k miles and the CEL came on and I am experiencing some shifting problems. Code is P1762, Governor Pressure Sensor. After reading here and there I had the GPS replaced as well as the solenoid. Put everything back together, ATF +4 and nothing has changed.

I have read about so many with the exact same issues do this and every single one it was corrected. I am the only one where this has not corrected my issues. CEL came right back on with same code, same shifting issues. Starts out in 2nd or 3rd gear. Maunual shifting works fine.

Before I take it to a tranny shop and drop a nut on a new one, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Trey318
Captain

How nasty was the pan when it was dropped? If there was a lot of gunk in the pan and filter, there was probably still some in the torque converter and valve body. This last time that I changed my governor pressure sensor and solenoid, I dropped the valve body, cleaned it, and installed a shift kit. Worked great for a couple of weeks, but I guess there was gunk from the torque converter and it is acting up yet again.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:05 PM
cvalcik

Pan was pretty clean, no noticeable chunks, chips, or shavings.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Ok little history first. I just replaced transmission in my truck recently. Got a used transmission from same year truck as mine. After getting it running I had an issue where it if I got in the truck and took off it would slip going from second to third gear and it would make what sounded like a tire chirp when OD engaged. I tried letting it warm up before taking off it helped the problem, but never had to do that with other transmission. We’re not talking real cold weather here that this is happening. So not satisfied I tried adjusting the TV cable, no help. So I did more research on here and found that whenever you do something to these trucks you should reset the PCM. So I thought I would give it a try. Sure enough it cured the problem. I jump in the truck put it in gear and go, with no slipping at all. It cured the problem for me. Try it. Take off negative battery cable, turn key to "Start" position for 20 seconds or longer and turn off reconnect cable and hopefully this will help you as it did me.

Dave

Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM
cvalcik

ok, I went out and did what you said. When you say turn the key to the start position, do you mean in the on position or all the way as if you were starting the truck.

The truck is cold and I turned the key to the on position. Reconnected battery, started truck, let it warm for a few minutes and to my surprise, problem solved.. But check engine light was still on. So I stopped, turned truck off, reset CEL light and when I started the truck the light came back on and problem was back. Crap! I thought I had it there for a minute.

Any more ideas before I head to the shop tomorrow?

Thanks for all your help too! Greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:23 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Turn to "Start" position and hold for atleast 20 seconds, not the "On" position.

Dave

Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 PM
cvalcik

Tried that, no good. More research I have found this posted:

p1762 is governor pressure offset volts too low or high. i bet your truck doesn't shift at all or very well. there is a governor solenoid and a transducer on the right side of the valve body in your trans. 99% of the time just replacing the solenoid and transducer will fix the problem. the other 1% of the time, beleive it or not, will be an upstream oxygen sensor. it can short internally and not set an o2 sensor code. it is on the same 5v refernce circuit as the trans governor, so it can trick the controller into thinking it is a governor problem. unplug your upstream o2 sensor, disconnect the battery to clear the codes, and drive it to see if the p1762 comes back. if it doesn't, repace the o2. if it does come back, replace the governor solenoid and transducer.
Source(s):
chrysler trans tech

Can anyone point me as to where the upstream o2 sensor is located? Is this worth trying?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 PM
01Green5.9L
Professional

The upstream o2 sensor is before the cat

Old 12-21-2009, 01:17 PM
cvalcik

Well it looks like I'm getting a new tranny. Sure wish Santa delivered those but it looks like I'm on my own for this one.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Did you replace the sensor?? It's on the exhaust pipe, upstream from the catalyic converter (Closer to the engine).

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram, P1762 Tranny problem