2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem: NO 4x4 after tranny rebuild!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:27 AM
smgbsdc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: NO 4x4 after tranny rebuild!?!?!?!

i just had my tranny rebuilt and a new torque converter installed to the tune of $1650.00. when i took it in the four wheel drive worked fine and the dash light came on when in 4x4. i had a good local shop (so i was told) do the rebuild. when i picked it up the trans worked fine but driving home about 20 miles away i noticed the FWD light flickering on and off so i pushed on the tansfer case shifter a little and it went out so i thought no big deal. then i got the truck home...a 96 1500 5.9 with a plow...i tried to plow my driveway that was snowed in while the truck was in the shop. it was also icy so i put it in FWD but nothing...it would not engage in fwd hi or low. so i went back to the shop and they pretty much told me not thier problem..after i persisted they put it on the lift then called me back 15 min later. they tried telling me my vacuum shift actuator or my vacuum shift switch. i had ZERO problems with FWD befor i took it in and my dash light never flickered once. do you think they fould something up? they even said something like " the hell of it is that we took that [switch] off but we didnt break it. what do you think? i just want to get this truck out of my hair and down the road...i paid my aunt 3000 and have put about 2500 in is since with problem after problem
thanks for your input...i dont know what the hell to do

Last edited by smgbsdc; 12-27-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get it on a dry spot and make sure they plugged the vacuum lines back into the transfer case. when mine got rebuilt, the guy forgot to plug them back in.

he put them on top of the heat shield over the cat.
the cat with the front of the truck toward the bottom of the picture

and this is where they go. they connect to the vacuum motor on the cad unit and that is what makes your truck shift into 4x4.
this is on the driver side, that is the front drive shaft on the right side of the picture.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, unfortunately the way I see it, if they don't fess up to messing up the vacuum lines or connectors to your transfer case, the only recourse you are gonna have is to take them to court where it's a crap shoot.

My mom had a local service shop do a tune up for her a few years back on her Grand Cherokee, I was 360 miles away and swamped with work and she didn't have the patience to wait for me to get there to do it.
The shop talked her into about $900 of completely unneeded work, including replacing the serpentine belt that I had replaced about 11,000 miles previously. Basically, she was a little over-due for an oil and filter change and a rotation, I had everything else up to date. The fargin bastages even replaced her plugs despite the fact that I did 100,000 mile platinum plugs AND wires also 11,000 miles previously!
In removing the belt, they must have used the AC compressor for leverage and snapped the bolts off. Then basically wired it back on. Luckily for them it was December and even in Fla, mom didn't use the A/C for about two months, when she did, it didn't work.
I got down there to have a look and of course, the shop denied it, said it was like that when it came in, they specifically remembered.
Now I was the previous owner of the GC, was my wife's daily driver and NOBODY ever touched that Jeep before them but me.
Talked to my atty who said it would be next to impossible to prove, so pony up and pay to have it fixed. I ended up getting the broke bolts out myself and having to buy a rebuilt compressor, so in the end, even with me doing the labor, mom was out $450, not including almost a grand in work paying that rip-off shop for work that was in no way needed.

Letting someone else do the work is always a crap shoot, although in your case, I see no other choice because even though I been liftin' and moddin' trucks for years, I couldn't rebuild no tranny...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-23-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Dr Donut
Veteran

1. Hey sheriff what does that extra vacuum line go to (one not in the plug) I don't remember seeing one on my truck and you know where I am with tat

Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

when i first saw the title of the thread i instatly said to myself that it was the vacuum lines. id check the CAD and make sure everything is hooked up.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think its the vent tube

Old 12-23-2009, 07:27 PM
smgbsdc

thanks for the thought and ideads...i will look into all of it and keep you posted

Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 PM
smgbsdc

update:
i did the test where i switched it to fwd and felt for vacuum on the line...vacumm didnt switch from one line to the other so i assumed it was the switch...i changed it this morning and it is the same...vacuum only occures on the same side when i switch from twd to fwd...what controlls the switch? is it vacuum alone or does something push on the little ball on the bottom ow the switch?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 PM
smgbsdc
Default UPDATE: 4x4 PROBLEM STILL THERE

i posted last week about how i had my tranny rebuild and my truck left the shop without my FWD working. i did the test where i checked vacuum in 4x4 and in 2x4..the vacuum stayed in the same line..so, i figured it was the switch and not the CAD so i replaced the switch (on my back in the snow) but it is still the same. what controlls the little ball in the switch? does something in the transfer case push up against it or is it just vacuum pressure that sucks it to a new position?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No need to start a new thread for the same issue. Threads merged.

Quick Reply: Problem: NO 4x4 after tranny rebuild!?!?!?!