2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing volts when I turn on accessories and all power with plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
Also, guys recommending he upgrades to a larger alternator. Does one actually gain anything when the regulator is set to work at the lower amp alt?
The regulator is internal on these alternators, so the answer would be yes. Also, voltage drop is normal when increasing load on a circuit whether A/C or D/C. If the supply (alternator) can keep up with it then it shouldn't be a problem as it will normalize back up, but if the draw is more than the supply it will remain low and could fall further. A 136amp alternator is the largest offered by Dodge, but other sources provide beefed-up alternators for certain applications like snowplows and winches. A dual battery setup would also help as it will provide more reserve amperage so that the accessories aren't running completely off the alternator.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Jersey Anthony
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input, I just picked up 0awg for the big 3 mod, and 2 new batteries at costco. Now for alt sizes i havent found any yet that arnt for the diesel or any large say over 160 amp for the dodge 360. Any links or would a cummins one fit on my truck. T
hanks again and merry christmas

Old 12-24-2009, 03:48 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
A dual battery setup would also help as it will provide more reserve amperage so that the accessories aren't running completely off the alternator.
It will help with running the accessories, but it will be more work for the alternator to keep everything charged.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Not true. Dual battery setups on motorhomes work fine with a high-output alternator and battery isolator. If you are discharging both batteries below 25% regularly, yes, it will shorten the life of the alternator, but under normal circumstances you shouldn't be draining both batteries below 50%.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:17 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

The regulator is internal on these alternators, so the answer would be yes.
I thought the regulator was internal to the pcm and not the alternator. I'll double check on that, but that is why I asked the question.

EDIT, Found it. page 502 in FSM under description

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 12-24-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:38 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Not true. Dual battery setups on motorhomes work fine with a high-output alternator and battery isolator. If you are discharging both batteries below 25% regularly, yes, it will shorten the life of the alternator, but under normal circumstances you shouldn't be draining both batteries below 50%.
Motor homes have more than one battery because they run accessories while the vehicle is off.

You could have 50 batteries, and if you are drawing more than the Alternator can put back into them, they will discharge.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

I read it and looked at the schematic. Looks like the actual regulating is done by switching the fields off and on in the alternator, but the PCM controls the switching. Current flow does not go through the PCM directly, though.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
Motor homes have more than one battery because they run accessories while the vehicle is off.

You could have 50 batteries, and if you are drawing more than the Alternator can put back into them, they will discharge.
No kidding, Sherlock. The point is that a dual battery setup can help you keep a constant voltage with high draw accessories since they will draw from the reserve in the batteries without overloading the alternator. This fine for things like snowplows and winches that have short duty cycles. Something that needs continuous power would not benefit from a dual battery setup as it wouldn't take long before it was drawing primarily from the alternator leaving no juice to charge the battery thereby running at a deficit.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:48 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Right, why fix the problem when it can be covered with a band aid?

A pair of matching batteries, cabling, and switches will cost nearly as much as a bigger alternator. Just do it right in the first place.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I read it and looked at the schematic. Looks like the actual regulating is done by switching the fields off and on in the alternator, but the PCM controls the switching. Current flow does not go through the PCM directly, though.
learn something new every day. I kind figured they wouldn't send that kind of power through the pcm, expecially with how finiky (sp?) they seem to be in my experience (im technically on my 5th). Thats actually in the process of researching pcms, i came across the regulator thing. Anyway, like I said I didn't know so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 12-24-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Losing volts when I turn on accessories and all power with plow