2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whining noise in the rear end

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:52 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 98 1500 2WD had the exact same noise. Took it to a local shop who specializes in diffs/transfer cases. Mine turned out to be the pinion bearing. I actually was in the shop with the guy watching him work on it trying to learn something from the experience. He let me turn the yoke on the front of the housing after he dropped the drive shaft. I could definitely feel the bearing was bad. He charged me $650 to change all the bearings in the housing. While we were at it, I bought a Detroit Locker and had him replace the open differential that was in there. I payed $650 for the Detroit Locker. The new bearings fixed the whine. (is spending $1300 on a 11 year old truck smart? I dunno, but I plan on driving this thing for five more years and then giving it to my son when is 16. Good first vehicle for a boy)

I wouldn't let just anyone do this job. There is a fair degree of art to this job. Like setting the lash between the ring and pinion. A good way to find a shop is to go to your local parts store and ask the guys in there who they think are good rear end guys. Or look in the yellow pages under 4x4 or For Wheel Drive. I didn't have much luck finding a rebuilt axle. I think I found one, and I think they wanted about $1000 for it. Then I would still have to get that installed. I think you could get your rebuilt a lot cheaper.

Which brings me to my next question. Those pictures of the differential posted by 95 318SLT is an open diff isn't it. A LSD is gonna have some kind of clutching mechanism wouldn't it?

Last edited by aggiejet; 01-02-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Roadkill69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sheriff. My mechanic quoted me between $700 and $900. One of the other things I need to consider is time. He can have it done in a day which works great for me. I can't be without a vehicle for more than that. I don't know how long a dealer might take and I've heard horror stories about having work done at a dealership. I am just getting some input, even called about possible warranty coverage(ran out). I am willing to pay a little more(warranty included also) for a quick turn around. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had my rear pinoin bearing (all of the bearings actually) replaced and the lsd replaced...I bought the yukon master instal/bearing kit for $140 shipped and the lsd rebuilt kit was $300.00 from dealership...(I wish I had enough for the powertrx locker but they are $450..... anyway they charged me like $380 labor to do it all.... very good deal if you asked me.

I had the whine on deceleration only prior to having it done....and had chunks of the lsd floating around in the pumpkin and on the magnet..

Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

aggiejet, how do you like that detroit locker on the pavement? i'm considering getting one for the rear on mine when i put the 4.10 gears in there.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheriff,

The Locker is fine on the pavement. It "unlocks" while cornering and at slow speeds (like pulling into a slot at a parking lot) you can hear it clicking as it locks and unlocks. I haven't had a chance to drive it a lot. I had it put in on the 23rd and on the 29th, my water pump froze up and I had to replace that. It also shifts "hard" (or clunks into gear, if you will) when shifting from park to reverse and then down to drive, but I believe that to be normal, as indicated in the Detroit Locker Owners Manual that came with it. I will take to the installer (per his instructions) after another week and ask him some of these questions and let him drive it. He wants me to come back so he can make sure everything is as it should be. I'll keep you posted.

Roadkill,

Changing out the bearings is about a three to four hour job if you don't screw around. My guy was pretty meticulous (he swabbbed out the axle shaft tubes with a five foot long steel wire toothbrush and took the time to clean out the diff housing with cleaner and clean the ring and pinion gears) We (cuz I was kinda hanging around doing some of the grunt work like wire wheeling the old gasket maker off of the diff cover) took about about five hours and took a hour for lunch. Again, I would make sure whoever was doing it, has done them a bunch.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think my sister found where the whining was coming from...

Old 02-10-2010, 08:35 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your sister ? what does that mean ?

is that the pinion bearing.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 PM
pentec

I had the same problem. Found out that the previous owner had run the rear diff dry or low on oil. The guy that did mine came very highly suggested. By all of the letters and pics on the wall of his shop from alot of different monster truck drivers saying thanks I think I picked the right guy to do the job. Complete rebuild everything new including axle seals $800.00. Runs like a champ and no more noise.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
sdbolts583

My 98 has the same whine....its just getting louder and its starting to get annoying. Sheriff, what part is that? Bearings?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
cwdxd4

I have the exact same noise in my truck also. It's been that way from day one of owning it for well over 10k miles. I just don't see how it could be the pinion or carrier bearings considering that it doesn't change sound at all under load or no load? Do you think it is likely to go out anytime soon?

Quick Reply: Whining noise in the rear end