2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift and tire size questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Why would you bother putting the money and effort into a truck you plan to only have a year? Better to put it in the bank for the mods you'll want to do on your newer truck.
ahh to be 16 again and have such ambitions..so many big plans and ideas..before reality sets in..... face it unless you land some great career at 17, your spoiled by your parents or squandering your savings... I doubt you'll be able to afford an 05 4x4 at 17...or the gas and insurance to go along with it...and if you could you'll likely struggle to afford it and wish you had'nt...
Seriously though if your going to go with 33" tires and use it for minumum offroad I sugggest 2" spacers in the front (anything more and you'll wear front end components fast) and add a leafs or the shackle lift in the rear....if you go blocks dont stack...its a big no no and even the guys that make the blocks will tell you that...do a search and you will find two threads from last week explaining all this along with links to petersons 4wheel drive articles on the best lift on a budget... they make up to 5 1/2 inch blocks for our trucks but keep in mind you will have to drive like an old man because they are prone to axle wrap...therefore the aal shackle or body lift are the better options for the rear...

Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Why would you bother putting the money and effort into a truck you plan to only have a year? Better to put it in the bank for the mods you'll want to do on your newer truck.
cuz then he has to wait another year to go wheelin haha.

You may just want to look into getting 33's. That way you can put a cheap *** 3 inch coil spacer or coil spring in front and 2 inch add a leafs or 2 inch blocks in back... And with that lift and 33's you should be able to flex all you want without rubbing... It would be beneficial to regear but you could get around it. Any lift in the long run is going to ruin your front end parts but your bound to have other problems like tranny issues before your front end goes...

Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
EDAK52

ya ive actually been very lucky that ive had a job for about 1 year now and i make close to 16$/Hour i only work about 2-3 days a week so i have managed to earn about 13,000 this year but it has dwindled after buying my truck and snowmobile and ive been in a few car accidents. i do like your opinion Gav1N8 and that is definatley a thought for doin 33"s instead of 35"s

Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

yeah bud just go for 33's then you won't be hated on and it will cost a lot less... You can even just do a 2 inch spacer in the front and install 33's and be done with it... You won't beable to flex as much though... Just do a cheap ole 3 inch lift with 33's and you can rock and roll... You don't need to regear but maybe you should kinda start saving for doing so if you want a lot of low end torque.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
EDAK52

wow i just saw the picture of your truck Gav its GORGEOUS!!! Do you take it 4x4ing or are you one of those guys whose truck has never seen mud?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

When I first did my paint job it never saw mud for about a month why i went to a couple of truck shows but now it sees mud couple of times a month... keep working man and your truck will look even better than mine if your willing to spend time on it.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:36 PM
EDAK52

so i have finally decided and think i will be going with a top gun customz 5" lift kit! (heres the link) http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...iview=53702626 is there anything else i should be prepared to buy to go along with this lift? and also what would you guys run for tires?

Quick Reply: Lift and tire size questions