2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift and tire size questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 AM
EDAK52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and tire size questions

hey guys i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the 360 in it. im looking to fit some 35" BF goodwrich M/T's under it will a 3" suspension lift be enough? what is the cheapest way too achieve this? also i have all ready replaced factory deck with a new kenwood deck and all factory speakers with boston acoustics speakers i have an amp and 12" sub ready to go but where do i but the sub? its an extended cab so i have a bit of room i was thinking under the front middle seat! anybody done this before? thanks a bunch!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can only "help" on the lift/tires. Now you want to fit 35" tires under a truck that you plan to lift 3"? Most guys on here with 35" tires have 3" suspension and 3" body lift others just do 5" suspension. Do you plan on flexing the truck or and you just going for looks? If you are just going for looks you can fit 35" but if you plan on wheelin yr rig you better think agin. If you want to wheel it get your self a 5" suspension lift.

Oh there is a list of things you need to do.
1. Have you checked local laws to see how high you can go?
2. Gears drop 2k for a set of 4.56 gears to push them big tires down the road.
3. Wheels Since you are going higher you need a wheel with back spacing and a wider rim to fit the tire. Back spacing pushes the wheel farther away from the truck making it more stable.
4. Have you checked the plenum? (search if its working)
5. Have you done a tune up to your truck at all?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything you asked about can be found by doing a search. Also, more descriptive thread titles help others with searching for the same answers. You should fill out your profile info, as well. Welcome to DF.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 12-29-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep your the third guy to start a thread with the exact question in the last week...just type the key word of what you want to know about in the search box and you can get your answers instantly....minimum of 3" of lift to clear 35" tires and they may rub at the slightest bump at full lock (turn) if you have 4" backspacing 5" backspacing clears fine...I have had both rims and I currently only have a 3" body lift. Although I thought it was more due to the fact that it wont even fit in my garage....

Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 PM
EDAK52

ya i mostly want it for the looks to get a bigger ride height and so that my truck doesnt look like every other 2001 dodge around here. im only 16 but occasionaly i like to go down the mud roads around farms and find a field of mud to play in nothing major. wont be flexing at all. i was think 3" coil spacer in front and 3" blocks in the back....

Old 12-29-2009, 01:34 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long do you plan on owning the truck?... cheap lifts dont last long..... plus it a 01

Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a friend that did a cheap lift 4" lift springs in front and 4" blocks on top of his stock blocks. No other suspension parts. He's running 35's with stock 3.55's and a 318. He hasnt been off roading yet seeing as how its winter but when spring comes around I plan on being there with my video camera to watch his truck fall apart the first time it touches mud. Im gonna do the 3" spacer in front and either 2" AAL or Shackle lift in the back but I only plan on running 33's. And if you decide to run blocks in back get a 5 inch block and get rid of the stock block thats already in there.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM
EDAK52

I only plan on keeping th truck for about another year as i want a newer dodge like a 05 whats that comment suppose to mean....plus its a 01????? i definatley dont want it too fall apart... whats thee best way too fit 35"s under my truck for under like 400$ as i still need to save money for the tires....

Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by EDAK52
I only plan on keeping th truck for about another year as i want a newer dodge like a 05 whats that comment suppose to mean....plus its a 01????? i definatley dont want it too fall apart... whats thee best way too fit 35"s under my truck for under like 400$ as i still need to save money for the tires....
You can't get the best of both worlds.

Either A) Get the correct lift (5" suspension), and wheels, and gearing (4.56's). After all that, you still have to buy the tires. So you're looking at at LEAST $3500 right there.

B) Do it the cheap way. Buy some cheap 35's, stick them under a 2 or 3" lift, better yet, stacks some blocks on top of the stock blocks in the rear, and just add a coil spring or something in the front..

With A, you'll have a nice lifted truck that will actually have the right amount of power, with some actual functionality. With B, you'll have a truck that's underpowered, and looks retarded (imo), wears parts way faster than it should, and is ready to fall apart at any moment..

Your call.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you bother putting the money and effort into a truck you plan to only have a year? Better to put it in the bank for the mods you'll want to do on your newer truck.

Quick Reply: Lift and tire size questions