2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge "46-48RE" Governor Solenoid to GM part w aftermarket manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
bseeton1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge "46-48RE transmissions" Governor Solenoid to GM part w aftermarket manifold

anyone ever do this modification. it repaces the governor solenoid and has its own manifold but can't clearly see how the governor pressure/temp sensor is replaced/mounted or if its still factory or a gm mod as well
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/do...FRQpawodBCAaKw
it's down about 3/5ths of the page in the electrical section #rec kit

Last edited by bseeton1; 12-29-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt find it, whats the point of it?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 PM
bseeton1

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
didnt find it, whats the point of it?
as we all know the chrysler part is a "p.o.s." this kit is suppose to fix the problem and handle higher pressure for the "tim allen types ". Ie it fails every 200k instead of 20k relatively speaking...any one have experience with this or any modified governer solenoid in 46-48re transmissions

Old 12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

its meant for high performance applications........but in my opinion if your truck is higher performance you should look at beefing up the rest of the tranny and not just the solenoid.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont know I had to replace the soleniod in mine the day after putting it on the road....its a common failure on the tranny period....the searches I did about it told me that..

I find it funny they sell a beefed up performance tranny for $2300.00 plus 170 shipping....Only cause I remember a recent arguement where I stated $2500 was too much to have a regular trans rebuild done and the OP insisted it was because where he lived in NY that was the cheapest he could get....obviously that debunks that myth...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
1fast2liter
Captain

no it dosnt becuse you still need to buy fluids and have it installed most rebuilders wont warrentie it unless installed by a shop...

i payed 2100 for mine and that was average in my area but this guy builds it strong hd shift kit
47-48re 5 gear planetary
extra clutches and steels and springs
new torque converter.
3yr75000mile warrentie

and its garunteed for anything

Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fast2liter
no it dosnt becuse you still need to buy fluids and have it installed most rebuilders wont warrentie it unless installed by a shop...

i payed 2100 for mine and that was average in my area but this guy builds it strong hd shift kit
47-48re 5 gear planetary
extra clutches and steels and springs
new torque converter.
3yr75000mile warrentie

and its guaranteed for anything
even the viper tranny on the list is a much better rebuilt tranny than a local shop will quote on a standard rebuild plus since they specialize in this and the mods you know its likely done stronger and right.... Those warranties arent worth the paper their printed on in most cases even when they do cover something that goes wrong for once...look at all the warranty related tranny threads here where they refuse to fix it right multiple trips and if you get lucky they fix it right ...I'd rather have it rebuilt right, better and stronger the first time...even with a shop installing it your ahead of the game.... just my take on it though....
kind of like comparing a built up crate motor to a local jasper engine because of warranty and installation...

Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM
bseeton1

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
even the viper tranny on the list is a much better rebuilt tranny than a local shop will quote on a standard rebuild plus since they specialize in this and the mods you know its likely done stronger and right.... Those warranties arent worth the paper their printed on in most cases even when they do cover something that goes wrong for once...look at all the warranty related tranny threads here where they refuse to fix it right multiple trips and if you get lucky they fix it right ...I'd rather have it rebuilt right, better and stronger the first time...even with a shop installing it your ahead of the game.... just my take on it though....
kind of like comparing a built up crate motor to a local jasper engine because of warranty and installation...
I agree i have paid cottmans for years for what was suppose to be the best rebuild a 46re can be built to only to find out it has been sub par and barely above factory. I went with them because they were doing the state of ok dodge trucks and are nationwide as well, if i had any issues; warranty 2y 24k is worthless! I paid on average 2k each time and that was fleet pricing!!!!!!!!!!! my **** never again i'm lookin to upgrade to a diesel for the extra towing capacity and mpg but the patc transmissions or any one who takes the time and builds a quality product will get my buisness from know on. I know alot of you take great pride in doing your own work but i think most would agree the average wrench is not qualified to rebuild transmissions. I know it can be done but ooooh the head aches!! the work i hear some of you doing i think you must have 55 gal drums of atf fluid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bseeton1; 12-30-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Dodge "46-48RE" Governor Solenoid to GM part w aftermarket manifold